Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 01:05 PM

Another warning

Following on from mups post, here’s another thing that you may not be aware of
Some years ago I went to a nursing home to fit a part to their gas dryer, it had been out of use for a few days, someone had brought a domestic electric dryer as the socket couldn’t be reached from where they needed the dryer, they’d used an extension lead but hadn’t fully uncoiled it, by the time I had unwound the cable, I had to put my work gloves on as I couldn’t touch the last few feet of the cable, I doubt anyone on here will have to use a dryer plugged into an extension reel, but if you do, ALWAYS FULLY UNWIND THE EXTENSION REEL, this applies if you have any high wattage/ amperage appliance you are using from an extension reel, how the aforementioned cable reel never caught fire is a mystery to me to this day...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 03:40 PM

Re: Another warning

Thanks for that warning Primus.
I have wondered about this before, because my computer is on an extension lead not fully unwound. Is that safe?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 03:41 PM

My kitchen is so small, I have no space for a washer or tumble dryer. I have them both outside the back door in a small passageway. I used to use a reel extension leads to plug them into the kitchen socket. They kept breaking. That may explain why!
I now use a short one socket extension, I can only plug one thing in at a time. The tumble dryer makes the plug hot if used too long.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My kitchen is so small, I have no space for a washer or tumble dryer. I have them both outside the back door in a small passageway. I used to use a reel extension leads to plug them into the kitchen socket. They kept breaking. That may explain why!
I now use a short one socket extension, I can only plug one thing in at a time. The tumble dryer makes the plug hot if used too long.

Ooh, that's a bit scary Tess.
You sure that's safe?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 03:53 PM

Thank you for the reminder.

I really do wish we did a better job of teaching teens practical home education before they get out there on their own. . We lost a family of 5 this week, after the hurricane,, to carbon monoxide poisoning after running their generator inside their homes.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ooh, that's a bit scary Tess.
You sure that's safe?
I have no choice Mups. I asked the landlord two years ago and a few times since if I could make my outhouses, two small ones, neither big enough to put appliances in, into one and have a socket put in there. I'm still waiting for a surveyor to look at it. There's also a gap in the roof which rain comes in. The back door has to stay open so the cable can go through if I'm doing washing.

I had an outside door fitted as snow and rain used to get in, that helped a bit.
I just have to keep an eye on things.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
If the plug gets hot while being used it is NOT safe. Inexpensive extension leads use el-cheepo plugs and sockets.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 04:18 PM

Thanks for that warning Primus.
I have wondered about this before, because my computer is on an extension lead not fully unwound. Is that safe?
You should be ok just with a computer, it’s mainly stuff that takes a heavy load, eg anything with a heater, you could always buy a shorter lead mups...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-08-2020, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
You should be ok just with a computer, it’s mainly stuff that takes a heavy load, eg anything with a heater, you could always buy a shorter lead mups...

Thank you Primus. You have put my mind at rest.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 04:21 PM

Thank you Percy. You have put my mind at rest.
Nowt to do with me missis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top