Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 11:58 PM

Bad Luck

I wonder how many of you have had a string of bad luck such as I have. I'm sure there are lots of you.

For example, a good few years ago when I still had a lawn, my mower packed in so I decided to do some washing and my dryer packed in on the same day. The microwave, TV and vacuum cleaner packed in, all on the same day.

Now, it is true to say that at the time we had four black cats, but I couldn't possibly have blamed all this on my darlings.

I can assure you, I do have more to tell. LOTS more!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2011, 08:58 PM

Re: Bad Luck

When my husband's mum felt she had a run of bad luck she always used to say - she must have killed a robin. Perhaps if your black cats had killed a robin Mollie you could have blamed them
I tend to refuse to believe in bad luck Mollie - I think things good and bad just happen in a haphazard fashion. Simply wrong place, wrong time - pure chance. I am definitely not superstitious either and I never gamble (not any gambling games anyway).
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2011, 01:34 AM

we once had the washer, tumble dryer and the hoover all go within a week

I know its odd but these things really do seam to happen in threes
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2011, 02:40 AM

My worst bit of bad luck was when I smelled gas in my house next morning before going to work. At least, I thought I smelled gas, but thought it was my imagination but, I was concerned about it so I picked up the phone and, for some reason, it wasn't working.

I went next door and asked if I could use their phone, explaining, and a person arrived within 15 minutes and isolated the gas supply then told me to get a plumber out.

It was April and it was throwing it down outside. I'd been given three numbers to ring, but they were all answering machines that I got, so in frustration I found a local plumber who was Corgi registered and a lady answered the phone.

She told me that he would be there that day, but had no idea what time it would be. Anyway, he turned up at 6.30 p.m. and checked out my gas appliances. It turned out that my gas fire had a faulty valve and the plumber said I'd done better than winning the lottery as it could have been disastrous.

Then I had the water leaks, and then another gas leak.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2011, 11:32 AM

Mollie I would't know where to start recounting my bad luck and if I did it would probably depress everyone .

It started shortly after I was born when I contracted chicken pox and it has hardly stopped since until now but I better not speak too soon .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2011, 01:27 PM

I'm not going to tempt fate what with Christmas just around the corner!
Andycapp
Wigan
Andycapp is male  Andycapp has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2011, 01:53 PM

Landlord of one of my local pubs had some bad luck last year. He had bought one of those life size Snowmen that light up. He got up one morning to find it gone. Next day he found a box on his doorstep with the Snowmans head in it and a ransome note. He would get the rest of his Snowman back if he put cheap ale on the weekend before Christmas.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

06-12-2011, 11:53 PM

Shurrup you!

One Saturday morning I woke up to find my pillow on the bed soaking wet through, so I woke Gordon and we both bolted out of bed.

The end of the bed was wet through and it had gone through my airing cupboard in the back bedroom soaking all the linen and carpet.

The ceiling on my landing was bowing down with the weight of water.

Downstairs my carpet with a Chinese rug on top had copped it and all the colours in the rug had run, there were no electrics and - well - it was a nightmare.

I rang my insurance people immediately and they said they'd send an assessor, and a plumber who diagnosed that the header tank had developed a hole in it as it was an old metal one, so got that replaced on the same day.

The assessor, despite many phone calls, arrived SIX WEEKS later, when everything had dried out, but I had to have re-decorating done, new linens, new carpets, new bed ad infinitum.

We had to allow the electrics to dry out before that could be re-energised, so it was a pretty miserable time.

Then I had another gas leak and another water leak.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2011, 12:00 AM

You're not safe near a gas supply Mollie.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

07-12-2011, 12:19 AM

Ya know summat Jimmy, I'm not safe near anything!

No, well, about a year or so ago I could again smell what I thought to be gas so thinks I, I'd best send for't gas man as it smelled like it was coming from me cooker.

I always use the same plumber as he doesn't rip you off.

Well, it turned out that there was a ruptured pipe to my cooker and I was lucky I hadn't blown meself up again!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top