Join for free
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2011, 03:13 AM

Joys & Sorrows - Yoko Ono

I saw Yoko Ono's exhibit in Toronto quite a few years ago and one particular installation really interested me. She had a huge pile of river rocks in one pile and across from it there were 2 areas of floor marked off by tape - 2 big squares. I'm remembering them as about 8 or 10 feet per side. One area had a sign saying JOYS and the other SORROWS.

Beside the original pile of rocks she had another sign. It asked visitors to think of a moment of joy or sorrow in their lives, and to take a rock from the main pile and then place it in either the JOYS or SORROWS square.

Both the JOYS and the SORROWS piles held hundreds of rocks on the day I visited - all placed by people to represent a time of joy or sorrow in their own lives.

I would have expected the pile of sorrows to be much larger. In fact, the piles were almost even.

I watched people approach and read the signs. Watched them select a rock - usually taking time to find one that felt comfortable to hold. Watched them circle each pile, almost as though they were mulling over many events in life. Watched them choose which pile and then carefully set their own rock in place. And most lingered a bit after this small act.

I didn't choose a rock but I did reflect quite a bit on what the happiest moments in my life have been. I carry one small smooth pebble from one of my favourite lakeside haunts in my wallet as a reminder.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2011, 12:35 PM

Re: Joys & Sorrows - Yoko Ono

It just goes to show you, most things in life are evenly balanced, good times and bad times, so it can't be always bad... or good.
Yoko was in my bad books for years, I blamed her for the split in the Beatles, but that was when I was a teenager, all is forgiven now
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2011, 06:02 PM

I am sure you know thats the Yin and Yang Jemflux - Universal law. The one goes hand in hand with the other, thereby maintaining the all importrant balance.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2011, 10:22 PM

Yes, I was so interested to see universal law exhibited through the participation of hundreds of visitors to the gallery, each simply placing a rock on a pile. Many of her other installations made me think and made me appreciate my life. At that point I set her apart from the whole Beatles thing and began to be intrigued with her as an artist.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2011, 11:51 PM

This is a very thought-provoking thread, Annie. Thanks for sharing it; I'd never heard of that particular exhibit/installation before. It is odd and sort of reassuring that things do generally seem to be in balance.

And I suspect the Beatles would have broken up before too much longer anyway .....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Yes, I was so interested to see universal law exhibited through the participation of hundreds of visitors to the gallery, each simply placing a rock on a pile. Many of her other installations made me think and made me appreciate my life. At that point I set her apart from the whole Beatles thing and began to be intrigued with her as an artist.
It must have been quite a thought provoking exhibit to see Annie, especially one where each individual visitor could participate in its creation - such a simple concept, translating into an important message which everyone can understand. Of course, modern artists always strive to communicate their messages, but quite often without such resounding success.
Yoko Ono is an astute businesswoman and unlike John Lennon was not adored. I think people have thought her frivolous and shallow and, of course, she did take John Lennon away from his wife and made him look like her puppet. He seemed to change so much once he was with her (even his music changed) and he almost seemed dependent on her. I don't know - I don't suppose we will ever know, she is an enigma, but John Lennon (with her help) certainly left a legacy of great music and lyrics which will be remembered for generations to come.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top