Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 06:01 PM

Joint Pain

I have had the beginnings of arthritus for a few years now and it is rife in my family. My hands have been getting worse over the last few months as my dropping the tin of paint proved to me last week. Last night I was having a lot of pain in them and I put it down to all the cleaning and tidying in the garden I had done for the landlords visit. Today I went shopping and I really struggled to pack my shopping quickly enough in the supermarket to keep up with the cashier which I found embarrasing as I kept dropping the items as I tried to put them in the bags.

After I had put it all away I took the dogs to the park for a run and it was really cold, luckily I have an automatic car because my fingers were really stiff and not working too well on the gearstick. When I got in I had pins and needles in my hands and they were so painful and numb. My knees are also throbbing. I had a hot bath to see if would help but no, still have stiff joints. Think I need to pay a visit to my doctor.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 08:20 PM

Re: Joint Pain

DL, is it osteoarthritis or rheumatoid, and are you taking anything for it?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 09:00 PM

Best thing is to see the Doc. Doglover. It's no fun struggling with an arthritic condition, but there is quite a lot that can be done. When I was just over 40 I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis and I thought it was the beginning of the end of my active life, but it wasn't and I'm still poddling on and doing things I want to do. So, definitely go to your your GP and see what can be done to help you. Best wishes. Rena
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Of course the doctor is always the best idea, but you might want to look into glucosamine/chrondroitin or green lipped mussel extract meanwhile. I can only speak for myself, but mine is in remission; have been using them for years and very rarely have a flare-up. It's in the thumb joints in both hands.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 09:58 PM

I have it in my kness and foot
but I have a ulrta sound unit works grreat no pills no creams
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

28-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Speaking of creams, Celadrin seems to help with the rare flare-up. Plus an extra dose of glucosamine.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 11:11 PM

Sorry to hear that you're suffering so much DL Maybe a visit to the Doctor, or as others have said, some alternative treatment. Hope you feel a bit better soon....
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 12:30 AM

Are you sure it's arthritis lass? I'm not going to volunteer anything here because I'm not a doctor, but you should definitely pay a visit to yours.

My dad had osteoarthritis which is the worst form and he was in absolute agony with the bones jarring against each other.

If it's osteo, then no alternative treatment will work, and will only get worse. I never want to see anybody go through what my dad ever again as it's a painful and very crippling disease which, as it happens, is not hereditary.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2011, 08:57 AM

Bridget darlin' - as others have already said - yes you need to talk to your GP and start the investigative process. This will mean X-Rays, MRI scans etc, etc.

As you will know - if it does turn out to be Osteo-arthritis then yes I too can recommend some medications and treatments as I've been there, done that, bought the 'T' shirt and am on the verge of yet further Orthopaedic sugery next month.
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2011, 11:50 AM

I'm sorry to contradict you Mollie, but the worst kind of arthritis is rheumatoid, which my wife had, this resulted in her having 3 knee joint replacements, as well as shoulder and wrist joint replacements, I have osteo, and while at times it is very painful, I can cope with it, I use an ibuprofen gel, which is prescribed for me, I used to take naproxene , but suffered too many side effects with it, so just pain killers (Co Codamol) and the gel, The complaint comes from old age, as well as your working life dependant on what you did for a living, (I was an outdoor worker for a long time as well as a HGV and PCV driver,) so pressure on knee joints has caused a lot of grief, walking does me good, but I have to pick my days, Dog lover If you still have a dog, let him or her be your guide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top