Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 06:36 PM

Online fraud

I know this is probably like selling coal to Newcastle, but it is another reminder to be careful when buying things online.

This was from Action Fraud yesterday:

Online shopping fraud during lockdown.

" Action Fraud, the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and cyber crime, received over 16,000 reports relating to online shopping and auction fraud during the lockdown, with losses totalling over £16m.

Members of the public have reported buying mobile phones (19%), vehicles (22%), electronics (10%) such as games consoles, AirPods and MacBooks , and footwear (4%) on sites such as eBay (18%), Facebook (18%), Gumtree (10%) and Depop (6%), only to have the items never arrive".
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

20-07-2020, 06:47 PM

Re: Online fraud

I am extremely careful when ordering on-line, only dealing with reputable firms. So far, so good.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 06:48 PM

Depop is a disgrace. My daughter "bought" a macbook from someone advertising on there. Long story, but it was a scam and we managed to get the money back. The same advert came up for week after week, with different username sellers (it seems that someone found a way of using the login details of other, possible bone fide sellers who hadn't logged in for a while, so wouldn't be aware, but still had historically good reviews).

Highlighted this to depop for over a month, with numerous screenshots as evidence. They said they were looking into this, but never did. Just had a quick look on their site, and the macbook is still being advertised.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Depop is a disgrace. My daughter "bought" a macbook from someone advertising on there. Long story, but it was a scam and we managed to get the money back. The same advert came up for week after week, with different username sellers (it seems that someone found a way of using the login details of other, possible bone fide sellers who hadn't logged in for a while, so wouldn't be aware, but still had historically good reviews).

Highlighted this to depop for over a month, with numerous screenshots as evidence. They said they were looking into this, but never did. Just had a quick look on their site, and the macbook is still being advertised.
No idea if this might be of use to you, or if your daughter is still looking for a MacBook, but Apple sells refurbished devices of all kinds, link below was found after doing a search.

I have no experience of buying anything from Apple in this way but I am guessing it would save an awful lot of problems, also according to the website you would get their after sales service which is very good I understand.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/mac
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
No idea if this might be of use to you, or if your daughter is still looking for a MacBook, but Apple sells refurbished devices of all kinds, link below was found after doing a search.

I have no experience of buying anything from Apple in this way but I am guessing it would save an awful lot of problems, also according to the website you would get their after sales service which is very good I understand.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/mac
Thanks. We got a refurbed one via ebay. Works a treat and ebay take their security far more seriously than depop.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Thanks. We got a refurbed one via ebay. Works a treat and ebay take their security far more seriously than depop.
Good that you got one that works a treat. The MacBook is a brilliant laptop and upgrades have always been trouble-free. I've used Apple devices since the 1980s and found them very good. I know people do say they are expensive but you do get what you pay for. My last Mac was permanently on 24/7 for twelve years without any problems, in an industrial setting too as I worked for myself. Should any information be required just do a google search and usually you will find what you need, often too an Apple help forum will have the answer.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know this is probably like selling coal to Newcastle, but it is another reminder to be careful when buying things online.

This was from Action Fraud yesterday:

Online shopping fraud during lockdown.

" Action Fraud, the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and cyber crime, received over 16,000 reports relating to online shopping and auction fraud during the lockdown, with losses totalling over £16m.

Members of the public have reported buying mobile phones (19%), vehicles (22%), electronics (10%) such as games consoles, AirPods and MacBooks , and footwear (4%) on sites such as eBay (18%), Facebook (18%), Gumtree (10%) and Depop (6%), only to have the items never arrive".
I've bought & sold via Gumtree ... good old fashioned meet up, cash transaction and a handshake.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 11:45 PM

One of the great things about buying on Ebay is that Paypal offers security for your payment.

In the many years that I have been buying from Ebay sellers I have only had problems with one seller, they advertised something (I forget what as it was years ago) at a very reasonable price so I ordered it. When it didn't arrive I complained and they basically tried to get more money out of me if I didn't have another address to send it to me.

I gave them another address to send the item to yet it still didn't arrive, again they wanted more money to resend it so I complained to Paypal and provided all the emails. They refunded my money within days.

My experience on Ebay and with Paypal is very satisfactory apart from this I have never had any problems even with many Chinese sellers where postage times can range from couple of weeks to a couple of months.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top