Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2011, 11:46 PM

Courteousness

I don't know how many ladies on here find that the act of chivalry isn't quite yet dead.

In these days of rudeness, I find it most refreshing when a gentleman, or lad, holds a door open for me so that I can proceed without being barged into.

It probably isn't really something that should be applauded, nor especially expected, but I'm an old-fashioned kind of gal and I always say thank you to show my appreciation of this simple, but gentlemanly gesture.

Contrarywise, I've seen this kind of gallantry shown to other members of the female species, both young and old, just for them to waltz through without so much as ta very much.

As they say, good manners cost nothing. What are your experiences of this?
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2011, 11:52 PM

Re: Courteousness

I agree with you there, good manners cost nothing. I always say 'thank you' too. I also hold doors open for other folk as well.

What does annoy me, is when I've paid for something at the till and say thank you, and receive no response!
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2011, 11:55 PM

I've sometimes held a door open, and been stood there 5 minutes while a stream of ignorant people have walked through and never acknowledged me.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2011, 12:07 AM

That's nasty, Jimmy. It just shows how ignorant some people can be. I too have held a door open for others and I've always received a thank you.

A little true story. A few years ago I was just about to get into my car on Aldi car park when I heard a car slowly start to drive off. Instinctively I knew the car had a flat tyre so I flagged it down and a young lady in her 20s got out.

It was dark and it was raining hard and I asked her if she knew someone she could call to help but she said she hadn't. She was almost in tears and I felt sorry for her, but just then a van came along and a young man, also in h is 20s, got out.

Now, here's me being cheeky. I went up to him and said "please kind sir, can you help a damsel in distress." He grinned at me and I explained.

It was quarter to six and back then, Aldi closed at six so he was cutting it fine, but he went straight over to the young lady, told her to get into her car, and put her spare wheel on for her in the pouring rain, whilst Aldi closed.

That restored my faith in human nature. The knight in shining armour.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2011, 01:05 AM

Ahhh thats nice of him that will make him feel good
a few weeks ago there was a 18 wheeler rying to turn around
on the parking lot
jon got up from the coffie shop went out and held the trafic up so he could get out in the middle of the road
with him doing the same job he went to help a felow trucker
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2011, 01:10 AM

We were brought up to always say please and thank you. If som eone opens a door for me, I always thank them. I've also stood and opened doors for people and some have walked through without any word of thanks...it's like the door is staying open by magic! Now and again, once they've gone through I have said loud enough for them to hear me 'thank you' followed by 'your welcome'...the look on their faces makes me smile
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2011, 09:25 AM

I was always taught to be helpful to ladies, open the door, go up and down stairs in front, walk on the outside of the pavement, Always say please and Thank you, carry the shopping etc and I always feel better for it.
It does not bother me if someone does not say thank you when I hold a door open for them, I feel sorry for them not having had a proper education.
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2011, 10:12 AM

To my mind its more the maturer type of person who has kept this course of chivalry going, when I was bus driving I could count on the thumbs of one hand the amount of younger people giving their seats up to the older ones, when I was a youngster and was on a bus with my parents, I was always told to ger up and let the lady/man sit down, and there were never any objections, nowadays you would be told where to eff*** well go, and for that I blame 2 things, 1 parents and 2, television
shazkebab
Victoria, Australia
shazkebab is female 

23-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Glad to hear chivalry is alive and well. I would never consider not saying thank you to someone holding a door for me, and especially children. Unfortunately, some people act as though it's their god given right to have another do something polite
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Manners cost nothing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top