Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 01:17 AM

Sir Ian Holm obituary

https://www.the-world-of-tina.com/index.html

"It is with great sadness we can confirm that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88," his agent said in a statement, "He died peacefully in hospital with his family and carer."

His illness was Parkinson's-related, his agent confirmed.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...-holm-obituary

Ian Holm, who has died aged 88, was a brilliant actor in all media whose career fell into distinct phases. On stage, he enjoyed a dazzling early period and triumphant later years, most especially in Shakespeare and Pinter; but, if there was a prolonged period when Holm was absent from the theatre, it was because he suffered a temporarily paralysing form of stage fright. The theatre’s loss, however, was the cinema’s gain. He transferred the vocal precision, technical skill and impish mischief he had displayed on stage to the screen, enjoying a new, late-flowering career in scores of movies including, most notably, the Lord of the Rings cycle.

In 1955 he married Lynn Shaw, and they had two daughters, Jessica and Sarah-Jane. They divorced in 1965, and with the photographer Bee Gilbert, his partner until 1976, he had a son, Barnaby, and a daughter, Lissy. In 1982 he married Sophie Baker, with whom he had a son, Harry. They divorced in 1986, and in 1991 Wilton became his third wife, the marriage ending in divorce in 2002. The following year he married Sophie de Stempel. She and his children, and eight grandchildren, Talulah, Poppy, Tierney, Archie, Karris, Ellie, Edie and Teddy, survive him.
One of my favourite actors - but I didn't know about his stage fright and I didn't know about his large family .....

Coincidentally, I was watching "Young Winston" (1972) earlier in the week and, of course, he played George Earle Buckle, editor of The Times, in that very successful film.

A man of many parts, on stage and screen .....
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

20-06-2020, 02:21 AM

Re: Sir Ian Holm obituary

Ian Holm.. a fine actor.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 04:58 AM

Ian Holm has long been a favourite of mine too. An excellent actor. May angels fly him safely home.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 07:36 AM

Oh no...Bilbo Baggins ...gone

RIP.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 08:24 AM

Apologies for the wrong link in the OP - it should be:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53110391

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top