Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

20-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Support local businesses why?

We are forever being told we should support our country by buying British made, better still, support our own area economy and shop locally.

Tried all that recently and what a complete disaster.
Promised delivery dates completely forgotten and messed up which caused all sorts of problems. When delivery was finally made one part glaringly did not match the others as it was supposed to.

Return of goods and a refund refused outright, I suppose an option would have been a protracted legal solution but because of certain personal issues we reluctantly agreed to have a replacement item. We were assured, nay guaranteed the offending items would be exactly what we ordered.

It arrived Friday albeit a week or so later than 'promised' but I was glad to just get the thing.

Oh dear me, yes indeedy, it was exactly the same as before.
I would have thought that after all the problems this seemingly simple purchase has caused, both to us the customer and the 'family' store that someone with a few more brain cells than a jellyfish would have seen fit to check it before sending it out in a large truck.
After all, it is obvious to anyone what the problem is, taking the merest glance at it is enough to know it is wrong. You certainly do not need a degree in quantum physics to spot the 'deliberate' mistake.

As for the people at the emporium, in all honesty they could not give a rats a**e, they have been paid for the goods. The entire outfit from the very top to the bottom have turned apathy into an art form.

Maybe this attitude is just one reason why our country is in the God awful mess it is.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2011, 08:05 AM

Re: Support local businesses why?

Hammer, by Law the company can not refuse a return of Goods or Refund if the product is faulty and you have informed them within the time scale.

I have always found that Local firms are understanding particularly in our area due to the fact that they want to keep your custom.
I find it is only the large national companies that employ people who are there solely for the money and not the job where your custom is a secondary target.

Reasons for our country being in such a mess is Nu-Labour, easy of obtaining benefits, and the greed of the younger generation. ( now watch this thread explode)
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Let's hope that they up their game Hammer.. it was always said that a business was only as good as it's last unhappy customer, so you would possibly be doing them a favour if you pointed that out to them.

It may be just one or two bad employees that are giving rubbish service, but that taints the whole of the organisation. Maybe worth writing a letter of complaint to the top?
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

21-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Update:
Things have moved on a bit and I am hopeful this sorry tale of woe will come to and end in the next day or so.
Whilst it might not be the desired outcome it should be a compromise.
I will bore everyone further with the final situation if and when we get there.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2011, 08:05 PM

Sorry to hear about all the hassle Hammer. Our local traders are very much the opposite, they go out of their way to please their customers with free delivers of bottled gas, bags of potatoes and coal etc., granted they don't have to travel very far but they really are very helpful, the local builder's provider will give you his expert advice for nothing, even if you don't buy anything, and if you buy too much of anything, like patio slabs, cement, tiles etc., he will collect them and refund you your money, he does very well because of this and all the folks around here trust him and like him.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 02:17 PM

On a lesser note I decided that I would shop in the High Street as I was reminded that if you don't use em you lose em. Not only were items in the local supermarket much more expensive but often the quality was poor. I needed a mortgage to buy meat from my local butcher and the produce I bought from the greengrocer was of such poor quality I had throw a lot of it away. Complaining doesn't help only a shrug and a 'Oh that was just a bad batch' or some such nonsence. The local bakery was the same to buy a loaf and a few scones gave me little change from a fiver. I shall be going back to the supermarket where I can have it delivered and if I complain about even one egg being cracked they actually value my custom and refund the money back onto my credit card.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Use my local shops, no thanks, the woman in the papershop has a face like a chapped behind, she thinks she is doing you a favour by serving you.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Thanks Jimmy, that was my first laugh of the day, there are a lot of shop assistants like that, go where the smiles are I say.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2011, 12:47 AM

Is that the one on White Street, Jimmy?

Our local butcher is by far one of the finest and not overly expensive, but dearer than supermarkets. However, the quality is far more superior. Having said that, I can't afford to buy my meat there any longer.

There used to also be a nice greengrocers round the corner from there whose vegetables were beautiful, and reasonably cheap as well, but that closed down for some reason.

I don't shop at all in my local village any longer and I absolutely do NOT go into the town centre either, so I stick with my little Aldi and Lidl, neither of which are more than a 10 minute drive at the most with cheaper foods, and which are very good quality.

I do hope Hammer got his problem resolved and, just for the record, if a purchased items is "not fit for the purpose" or is any other way not as ordered, a refund must be given, and not just a credit note. I think that comes under the Sale of Goods Act. I once had some curtains and matching three piece suite covers made by a well-known company a long time ago. The covers didn't fit the suite, and the curtains were made up using two pieces of material per curtain, which hadn't even been matched in with the pattern. I sent them back and refused to pay the invoice.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

31-12-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I do hope Hammer got his problem resolved and, just for the record, if a purchased items is "not fit for the purpose" or is any other way not as ordered, a refund must be given, and not just a credit note. I think that comes under the Sale of Goods Act. I once had some curtains and matching three piece suite covers made by a well-known company a long time ago. The covers didn't fit the suite, and the curtains were made up using two pieces of material per curtain, which hadn't even been matched in with the pattern. I sent them back and refused to pay the invoice.
I did eventually get it resolved Mollie but not in the way it should have been sorted.
After the replacement item also arrived with the exact same fault I was offered my money back but only in a way that seriously disadvantaged us.

Trading standards were of no help at all and the process of litigation would have been long and ardous.
We have learned enough not to ever go near the place again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top