Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2011, 11:45 PM

Strange funi

This strange looking fungi has grown on one of my trees for the last couple of years with the exception of this year. I've never seen anything like it before! The photos of the toadstools were also taken in the garden but again for some reason or other did not appear this year.

Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2011, 01:13 AM

Re: Strange funi

They really are quite beautiful aren't they. No 1 looks like something from another planet.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2011, 01:17 AM

Very strange but so beautiful and such wonderful colours too!
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2011, 01:21 AM

Thanks Mollie, yes its very strange isn't it
marpaul
North Cumbria

20-11-2011, 01:35 AM

thanks Mags
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2011, 10:10 AM

Very pretty Marian the second one looks like the poisonous Fly Agaric.

I found some strange ones I had never seen before in the field and must look them up.
They were small bright yellow balls growing in the grass, when I stood on one it was full of grey slime I guess it could have been an old puffball which had decayed
I haven't walked that way for a few days so wouldn't have seen them when they were new.

ETA looked mine up and they are 'earthballs' from the same grouping as puffballs.
marpaul
North Cumbria

20-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks for your comments Meg. Yes I think you're right about the second one being a Fly Agaric. Its very strange though as none of them reappeared this year

I don't think I've seen 'earthballs' but if I do I'll do my best not to stand on one!! I do love fungi and its amazing just how many types there are.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Thanks for your comments Meg. Yes I think you're right about the second one being a Fly Agaric. Its very strange though as none of them reappeared this year

I don't think I've seen 'earthballs' but if I do I'll do my best not to stand on one!! I do love fungi and its amazing just how many types there are.
Marian I think the appearance of fungi or lack of it is down to weather conditions at particular times of the year.

The fields around me are 'ancient' grazing/hay meadows , they have never been ploughed up only grazed or mown for hay so the soil has remained undisturbed for generations.
There are usually many field mushrooms there but I haven't seen one this autumn, just the odd toadstool. I think this is because it has been too dry.
marpaul
North Cumbria

20-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Yes I think you are right Meg but in our case we have probably had too much rain which is the opposite to what you've had! Your meadows sound lovely, do you get wild orchids in them as well?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

20-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Yes I think you are right Meg but in our case we have probably had too much rain which is the opposite to what you've had! Your meadows sound lovely, do you get wild orchids in them as well?
Marian we don't have orchids in these fields but I know of other local fields which have orchids , they are kept secret though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top