Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2009, 12:31 PM

Postal service

The headlines on our local newspaper today say we should post our Christmas cards now to ensure delivery for Christmas! Our postal workers have been on strike on and off since July and the public's patience is wearing thin.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homep...l/article.html

Important hospital and other appointments and documents are not being delivered and may be going astray ......not what you'd expect in the 21st century I have three birthdays this month and am in two minds whether to post birthday cards or not ......it just isn't the same receiving a card after one's birthday

I assume these strikes are covering all the UK, how is it in your area?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2009, 12:59 PM

Re: Postal service

Post has always been terrible in this area, but I see it is generally getting worse everywhere!

Hope they sort it out in your area soon!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2009, 01:10 PM

No strikes here but the service is poor. It's 1.10 now and we haven't had today's delivery. Don't know how people can run businesses like that.
It's not the postie's fault - our lad is lovely but he is being mucked about like crazy with his hours. He used to work early till lunchtime, allowing his wife to work in the afternoons whilst he watched the children - they've had to change their lives completely. I',m not sure who is supposed to be gaining from this - with the threat that first class postage will go to 33p ............
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2009, 01:44 PM

The service is patchy here at the best of times, so we can never tell if they`re on strike or not. There is also a lot of theft.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
No strikes here but the service is poor. It's 1.10 now and we haven't had today's delivery. Don't know how people can run businesses like that.
It's not the postie's fault - our lad is lovely but he is being mucked about like crazy with his hours. He used to work early till lunchtime, allowing his wife to work in the afternoons whilst he watched the children - they've had to change their lives completely. I',m not sure who is supposed to be gaining from this - with the threat that first class postage will go to 33p ............

I think you'll find 1st Class Post is 39p now, DM.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/j...diaId=89000749
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Errr - did I mean 43p?
There was something on the radio a couple of days ago
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2009, 02:21 PM

By striking the postal workers are surely digging there own graves by prompting the population to find alternative methods of delivering letters and parcels.

My post doesn't arrive until after lunch.
Years ago when Dad was working for a particular company in Derbyshire it wasn't uncommon for him to receive a package by the second post which had been posted in Glasgow that morning .

The postal service is a shadow of what it used to be.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2009, 04:28 PM

Not that it's any consolation, but the post here isn't what it used to be either. When I was growing up, we had two residential deliveries and three business ones: 8 and 11 am and 2 pm. Now it's one only; I often don't get mail at home until after 5 pm!! And rateswill be going up again for first class mail ...
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2009, 06:46 PM

I placed an order on Wednesday and it arrived today, it was posted second class too! Our mail used to come before 8am but now is more likely to arrive 10am - 10.30am.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

02-10-2009, 07:20 PM

We used to be able to tell the time by our postman a few years ago - 7.15am on the dot. Now it arrives anything between 3.00 - 4.00pm ..... if you are expecting anything it's a long time to wait

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top