Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 02:47 AM

Fun being scared

Why is it that little kids enjoy playing at being scared by large adults ?

When I 1st moved into my building, there was a little boy next door who was very stand-offish and a tad afraid of me. As time went on, he got used to me. Eventually, he learned to like me. Now he is about 6 years old. Sometimes, I play at being a big scary bear, with hands like claws and teeth barred and I growl. He screams and runs away BUT he is laughing and smiling the whole time. If I start to walk away he chases after me and the game begins again. he will keep this up as long as I will keep playing "big scary bear"

Naturally, this only applies to adults that the child knows and trusts.

Just curious. Why do little kids love this game of pretend being scared ?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 06:25 AM

Re: Fun being scared

Same reason adults enjoy horror films and scary fairground rides probably. We get the adrenaline rush without any actual threat to life (hopefully!)
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Same reason adults enjoy horror films and scary fairground rides probably. We get the adrenaline rush without any actual threat to life (hopefully!)

Oh, an adrenaline rush. I never thought of that. Excellent idea.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 07:44 AM

Probably 'the adrenaline rush' is why some people subject themselves to roller coaster rides. Personally just the thought of anything like that scares me so much I couldn't ever go on one!
Have a look at this for being so scary and getting the adrenaline going:

Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 07:48 AM

It’s probably to do with the human development children are learning through play just as young animals do, being scared by the big scary bear ( but friendly person) is developing their skills in recognising danger, but in a fun , non threatening way,
bakerman
Mexico

06-06-2020, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
It’s probably to do with the human development children are learning through play just as young animals do, being scared by the big scary bear ( but friendly person) is developing their skills in recognising danger, but in a fun , non threatening way,
Yes, I like that idea, also. Perhaps it has something to do with my size. I'm 193 cm tall and 90 kilo. maybe little kids think that is a tad scary ?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 08:37 AM

One of my Grandsons favourite games with me is I have to pretend I'm a little old Grandma....I pretend to hobble about on a walking stick then when I'm near enough to get him I break into a run and chase to catch him....there are lots of tickles involved but it's the surprise of the chase he loves
bakerman
Mexico

06-06-2020, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
One of my Grandsons favourite games with me is I have to pretend I'm a little old Grandma....I pretend to hobble about on a walking stick then when I'm near enough to get him I break into a run and chase to catch him....there are lots of tickles involved but it's the surprise of the chase he loves
Enjoy these days. They will not last forever. He will soon grow out of that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top