Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2011, 09:00 PM

local government cuts

I went into my local Library this morning to be met with the news that it is closing on the 31st of December, and while we are not going to be left without any facilities, a small part of the library will be moved into the Community Centre, with limited access and limited hours, I use my library quite a lot, it was also a place where I could go for a chat with both staff and friends, this community centre is also used as a clinic and so space being at a premium, I think this is the thin end of the wedge, any thing similar happening in other areas.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2011, 09:03 PM

Re: local government cuts

Ours shut down years ago, you have to go into town now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2011, 09:25 PM

I understand a lot of libraries are to close, I used mine most when my son was small.

It concerns me that children as well as the elderly are going to miss out on the benefits access to books brings.

Funny old world isn't it, we seem able to fine large amounts of money to get involved in other peoples wars but we can't fund a few libraries for those who need them .
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2011, 10:17 PM

Maybe more and more people are using e-readers like the kindle. Many kindle e-books are free or under £1. Its a sign of the times I think
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2011, 11:28 PM

This may sound daft .... but what do you play Audio books on.Annie.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2011, 11:32 PM

We had two small libraries at each end of town which were very well used, sadly both closed a few years ago. There is now one large one in town centre. We also had a mobile library which went into out of town areas, and thinking about it now, think that has disappeared as well-not seen it going round for some time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
This may sound daft .... but what do you play Audio books on.Annie.
Annie they used to be on cassette tapes , I guess they are on CDs now or maybe those Ipod things..
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 12:04 AM

Thanks Meg.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

16-11-2011, 12:05 AM

It is very sad and I am glad to see we are keeping ours at least for a while.
This problem is not a new thing though, the issue rates at all libraries have been in decline for the last fifteen years.

The authorities have tried to keep up by introducing computer access, recorded sound, video tapes and now of course DVD's to no real avail.

The junior readers clubs were once fully subscribed as were the library visits by the schools but they too are in decline.

It is hard to argue against closure when there is only a hardcore of active members.
That said, I personally think it is a great service, I can borrow books for nothing that are on the shelves, only pay a token fee for reserves, and all other formats and keep warm whilst I am doing it.
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 12:32 AM

Our mobile lbraries are being phased out, as well as what was not only a library, but a museum (Hindley), it means going into town to visit a library, which is new, but is a distance from the bus station and not much car parking in the library area, so I will cease going and maybe start buying a few paperbacks, there is a garden centre close to where I live which has a book site and sells paperbacks 3 for a fiver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top