Join for free
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2011, 06:45 AM

Grinding to a halt

Looking at some snow scenes on here makes me smile as when our snow arrives we will grind to a halt roads wont be gritted and they will have many flimsy excuses why we cant keep moving.Yet back in the 60s we coped when snow was much worse here is a clip from the archives .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tokDh7MsTMI
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Re: Grinding to a halt

That is what is wrong with peoples driving today, 80% of drivers dont know how to drive.

I love to go out driving in the snow and ice, it is the only challenge left in todays style of motoring.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Mary I remember the snow of the 60's and one journey in particular travelling from Matlock to Ashbourne over the 'tops' on a bus , a rather scary journey. From Ashbourne I had a walk of over a mile down a lane in the snow with my small suitcase, the snow was waist high.

In those days when the snow came local building labourers who were unable to work because of the weather were used to keep the main roads open with shovels and farm machinery.
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Was it 1966 0r 65 when we had a huge snow fall we were in south staffs then and i had snow up to my bedroom window ledge it was so exciting no school and dad had to dig us out..I used to love snow out on my sledge having fun..Well as soon as we get snow here it will be a case of we were not expecting it !!!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2011, 04:58 PM

We never could cope with snow here in Washington! Everything is a complete mess.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Snow is definately for the young, you can fall and get up again and no damage done, oh to be young.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2011, 06:03 PM

I got stranded about 10 years ago in heathrow for 3 days
2 nights on the floor one in a hotel
there was hardly anysnow but the airport and could not get back to canada
hope i never have to go through that agean :0

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top