Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 10:27 PM

Conservative peer Baroness Ros Altman

Has warned of ‘social unrest’ if over-70s forced to stay in after coronavirus lockdown is gradually lifted and said some would ''risk going to prison rather than being forced to isolate at home''.

It has been reported those aged over 70 could be told to stay at home for another year under plans to shield them from the virus.

Baroness Altman said any blanket restrictions on the over-70s would constitute “age discrimination” as she believes most older people “would be sensible enough to know when they need to stay at home and also to know when they need to go out” without interference from government.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:31 PM

Re: Conservative peer Baroness Ros Altman

Just goes to show how narrow minded some are trying to descriminate the over 70's. Damn I am well past that and still physically fit ,more so than some of the lazy kids around. Won't stop me from going out if I want to when restrictions are lifted
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:46 PM

Yes indeed and will take responsibility for themselves. Don't patronise them.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 06:20 AM

In which case then it's the under-seventies more likely to spread the virus, there are more of them. Let them be isolated and imprisoned in this way for a year while over-seventies enjoy their remaining years, as they should.

All I see happening with this policy is keeping the hospitals from being overwhelmed by isolating a large section of the population. I am over-seventy and well able to look after myself, proof of that is that I've only been out three times since mid-March and despite a heart attack some 12 years' ago I have no help at all. I didn't get to this age without having common sense, knowing what to do and when and how to survive.

Link to this thread and OP could be the one below:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...down-baroness/
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 08:48 AM

I am more convinced than ever that the elderly in this country are just a nuisance as far as the powers that be are concerned.
I, as you may know, am in my nineties but can I get a visit from a GP or nurse? No!! The first thing they ask is your date of birth then you are put on the minority list. Because of what I thought was a severe problem I rang 111. "What is your date of birth?" Then I was put on hold. I held for over thirty minutes before giving up.
As I got nowhere with 111 I dialled 999 as I was beginning to 'panic'. "What is your date of birth?" This was at eight thirty yesterday morning. "We will send an emergency doctor out to see you withing four hours". A doctor finally arrived a ten fifteen in the evening. He examined me. What was I told? It.s mostly to do with ageing but he would contact my own GP on Monday with his opinion and perhaps get my own GP to contact me.
Will he? I have my doubts.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 09:09 AM

Extending the "lock down" to the over 70's is an essential part of managing the Chinese Plague in this country.

It is the right thing to do and Altman is absolutely WRONG in attempting to undermine the very sensible proposal to manage the relaxation of the lock down which in my opinion is being undertaken FAR to soon.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Extending the "lock down" to the over 70's is an essential part of managing the Chinese Plague in this country.

It is the right thing to do and Altman is absolutely WRONG in attempting to undermine the very sensible proposal to manage the relaxation of the lock down which in my opinion is being undertaken FAR to soon.
I think it's the message to send out. I know 70 year olds that look nearer 50, they'll get away with it, plus they'll use some common sense and keep a low profile.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I think it's the message to send out. I know 70 year olds that look nearer 50, they'll get away with it, plus they'll use some common sense and keep a low profile.
Exactly..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 10:07 AM

I guess it is up to over 70s to make their own decision unless instructed to do otherwise.

No matter how much over 70's protest about being 'chronologically old but young in body' they still have ageing immune systems that don't equate to those of younger people and statistically the older people get the less likely they are to recover from C19 with the odd exception.

We know when we get to 70 that our time here is limited anyway, I don't want to risk cutting that short by being bolshy and refusing to listen to science, each to his own.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

Agreed. But I am not just talking about the present situation but the way the elderly are treated in general.
When one reaches 70 one wishes to reach 80, When one reaches 80 one wishes to reach 90 and so on but the thinking these days among many of the younger generation is that once one reaches old age then they should be put at the back of the queue.
I remember a time when parents were referred to as Mum and Dad but today it is more The Old Man and Old Woman.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top