Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 01:05 AM

Zoom!

One of the things that has benefited from this lockdown is remote video software.

I had never even heard of Zoom before this crisis started the only similar software that I knew was Google Hangouts which even Google had stopped promoting

Ironically it was the problems with Zoom that brought it to my attention, apparently it was hackable and the makers had said that all their efforts would be directed to improving its security rather than new versions.

Anyway I had a look at the software and it is very easy to use. My family has now used it on a few occasions the longest and most enjoyable was last night.

My brother in the UK joined two of my kids from Canberra, a niece and a family friend when we talked for about an hour an a half with 6 windows open at once. There was no buffering and the sound was good

The software is free but has limitations of 3 to 100 participants and a 40 minutes time limit (1 to 1 has no limits)

Interestingly the 40 minute limit has always been extended by Zoom when we have gone over that time. A little window pops up to tell you.

The software is easy to install and easy to use though some times we have had problems with the "invitations" and had to join manually by entering a 9 figure ID and a password.

This is a screenshot of our very first attempt using this program I have blurred the faces to protect the innocent.

The program distributes the incoming video evenly or you can have thumbnails with just the current speaker on screen. I think it would be difficult using a phone (but possible).

Do any of you use this or similar software? How have you got on with it?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-05-02-09h54m33s595.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	12457  
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 01:18 AM

Re: Zoom!

Yes Bruce. My wife is working from home and she uses ZOOM several times a day to hook up with her team. It works very well for them along with the network they have set up with the rest of their IT systems.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 07:26 AM

I use Skype, been using it for many years, and it's improved tremendously in recent weeks. Competition?

Zoom, FaceTime, WhatsApp ... all in the forefront now.
PSXtreme
Missouri, United States
PSXtreme is male 

02-05-2020, 12:22 PM

We use zoom, now that they've shut down physical classes, for one of the college courses that I'm taking this semester. So far I can best say that it is serviceable. We haven't had any "party-crashers" as was reported by the press before or after they bulked up the security.

I don't live in an area with a strong, fast internet flow so there is some visual pixelation and mumbling of audio now and again. Either way, it's functional in a pinch.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I use Skype, been using it for many years, and it's improved tremendously in recent weeks. Competition?

Zoom, FaceTime, WhatsApp ... all in the forefront now.
I used to use Skype years ago but still use Whatsapp a fair bit for text or voice. They are all rendered obsolete by unlimited International and domestic phone calls and texts on my mobile service.

My kids have a group Whatsapp set up to share videos and texts though the latter could just as easily done by SMS/texts.

Zoom is not something you would use on a casual basic normally, my son usually schedules a chat because of the time differences between the UK and Australia.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 07:15 AM

I have only been on zoom once .
I was a bit nervous in case the spotlight cam on me as I was in my pyjamas ,
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 04:03 PM

Val and I used Skype when I travelled and worked aboard. Skype was the only one I knew about at the time.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

05-05-2020, 01:52 AM

It is interesting how these programs wax an wane. Who uses MySpace now? yet at one time it was my favourite social media (though I don't think it was called social media then)

I suppose we can all think of web sites and software that have had their day remember when Altavista used to be THE search engine until Google wiped it out.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is interesting how these programs wax an wane. Who uses MySpace now? yet at one time it was my favourite social media (though I don't think it was called social media then)

I suppose we can all think of web sites and software that have had their day remember when Altavista used to be THE search engine until Google wiped it out.
I remember MySpace but never had one! And Altavista was the search engine for me back in the '90s.

I remember the day I first heard of Google ... I phoned a new NHS helpline, set up by Tony Blair, just out of interest, to see if it worked. A young lady with a northern accent answered my query, and I told her she was very clever, she said "no not really, I just type questions on the goggle website .... " Goggle? I checked it out and soon realised she was referring to a thing called Google.

I remember my first "post" on the internet: late 90s. I wasn't aware of any forums or social media, but I found a thing called Guardian Notes & Queries, and posted some tongue-in-cheek answers to a toilet roll conundrum. My post was "published"! I've just looked and Notes & Queries still exists ... looks different now, different layout all very colourful.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...es-and-queries
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 09:30 AM

Have used zoom and ms teams for social chats with friends. Use a bit of software called bramble for online tuitions, as it enables easy upload of resources and interactive writing (having a graphics pad helps), plus it's free. I don't need to see my students nor be seen while the lessons progress.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top