Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2020, 10:11 PM

Postal deliveries to be removed on Saturdays

I was just reading that Saturday postal deliveries are to go with effect from this Saturday.

Apparently it is an action taken as the result of a decision made by the Communication Workers’ Union (CWU) .

It is supposed to be a temporary measure but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes permanent.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 11:26 AM

Re: Postal deliveries to be removed on Saturdays

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I was just reading that Saturday postal deliveries are to go with effect from this Saturday.

Apparently it is an action taken as the result of a decision made by the Communication Workers’ Union (CWU) .

It is supposed to be a temporary measure but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes permanent.
They were contemplating this when I was a postie Meg. It would save them loads of money because each delivery office employs one third of its staff as 'Covermen/Women' these are posties who fill in for a regular postie on his/her day off. I was one of them;
Five different walks each week, not as boring as a usual postie. During my week I would deliver to every house in Ackworth; A very large and hilly town in West Yorkshire....Brilliant when it was sunny, not so good in the rain and snow....

Because posties only work five days, by eliminating Saturdays there would be no need for covermen/women. Royal Mail does have an obligation called the universal obligation, whereby they must deliver to every house in the UK (providing they have got mail) six days per week excluding Sundays. It was this commitment that prevented them from dropping Saturday from a normal delivery day....

They must have got round it somehow during the Covid19 pandemic, but it might be the thin end of the wedge....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 11:56 AM

I feel sorry for the postmen.

They've been hanging in there by delivering pamphlets & unaddressed brochures, which most people seem to not want.

Parcels have gone towards the courier companies, as Customers like the idea of getting it very soon after ordering.

Wouldn't be surprised if Postmen are now, privately, delivering for Amazon, or some such.

One thing often missed, about Postmen, was that they were the ones most likely to spot someone in distress, e.g. an old person lying on the floor & unable to get help.

We will miss the Posties, when they've gone.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

They've been hanging in there by delivering pamphlets & unaddressed brochures, which most people seem to not want.

Parcels have gone towards the courier companies, as Customers like the idea of getting it very soon after ordering.

Wouldn't be surprised if Postmen are now, privately, delivering for Amazon, or some such.

One thing often missed, about Postmen, was that they were the ones most likely to spot someone in distress, e.g. an old person lying on the floor & unable to get help.

Due to the 'Universal Obligation' Royal Mail have had to deliver mail from all different companies Ted, with very little reward. Look at the stamp/Franking on the envelopes and you will see that most of it is not Royal Mail. Even the government and councils no longer use Royal Mail except for the last mile....
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 08:54 PM

Another tradition gone ,remember the days we had two deliveries a day ?
Hey Ho
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

30-04-2020, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Hey Ho
It all went belly up when I left Apricot......
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Along with another service we used to have regularly – the milkman (or woman) – now gone.
They would realise something was wrong when milk was not taken off the doorstep.

About the posties though, I found this from your part of the country Tedc, an explanation given in a local newspaper:

https://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news...ar5hpyrQwTENI4
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It all went belly up when I left Apricot......
That"s what I heard ,they lost a good man there ,even though you refused to wear shorts ,something about knock knees.
although I refused to believe it .They were just being catty IMO
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I had a parcel come yesterday, and I caught the postman as he was walking away and asked him about this not delivering Saturdays business. He said same as Baz's link above, and it is only letters they will not be delivering on Saturdays for the forseeble future.

He went on to explain that they have such a back log of parcels to deliver, they are going to stop letters on the one day, and deliver parcels only.
He didn't think it was a permanent thing, just till they catch up again.
So we'll have to wait and see.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Hey Ho

Yes Apricot, and I was thinking about this when I read Meg's opening post. We always used to have two deliveries didn't we. A lot of the time we're not getting one now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top