Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 06:26 PM

I can’t hear with a mask on

At work we have to wear face masks, I’m finding it really difficult to understand what some people are saying, I never realised how much I rely on lip reading, so to speak, don’t get me wrong, I can hear them but just sometimes I have to really strain to hear what’s being said, and I miss the odd word, I am due a hearing test, but with what’s going on it’s been put back to the autumn, my hearing has deteriorated but I never realised by how much....old age I guess,
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 07:54 PM

Re: I can’t hear with a mask on

Pardon? Did you say something?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 07:56 PM

Try not to worry too much, Primus, your hearing may not be as bad as you fear.
It could well be the masks as you say, they can muffle sounds.
If someone is not standing away from you, or perhaps their back turned, or even has a quiet voice, I can well understand you struggling.

Have you noticed you hear better talking to someone who is not wearing a mask?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This is why it's been so useful to let as many people as possible wear full burkhas. It's been a form of training for us. And, just to think how we had missed the foreward planning of governments over the last couple of decades.

Sure, we might not have stockpiled enough PPE and essential medical equipment, but at least we've been acclimatising ourselves to talking with people wearing masks.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Try not to worry too much, Primus, your hearing may not be as bad as you fear.
It could well be the masks as you say, they can muffle sounds.
If someone is not standing away from you, or perhaps their back turned, or even has a quiet voice, I can well understand you struggling.

Yes mups I can hear better with someone not wearing a mask, but I didn’t realise how much I’m watching their lips moving...
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yes mups I can hear better with someone not wearing a mask, but I didn’t realise how much I’m watching their lips moving...
I find it hard breathing with the mask on.

And I dont talk to people anyway
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
If it makes you feel any better Primus, I find I 'lip read' a lot, especially on the TV. The sound never seems right and sometimes I put my hand behind my ear (like my gran did ), and watch the lips.

I'm fine in front of someone. Having said that, on 'Clap Thursdays', standing well apart while nattering with the neighbours I keep saying 'pardon' and am aware that I turn my head to one side and try to hear better.

I suffer with wax problems which dulls the hearing.

Wonder when those ear trumpets went out of fashion

Who used to say 'Come round the other side?'
Primus1
York

27-04-2020, 09:28 PM

Lol pesta I do the hand behind the ear thing too
I remember my dad doing that as well,
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2020, 04:45 AM

It's not just lips is it it's facial expressions and mannerisms there is a lot more to communication than just hearing.
Primus1
York

28-04-2020, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
It's not just lips is it it's facial expressions and mannerisms there is a lot more to communication than just hearing.
Your right summer, but at least I can stick my tongue out when I’ve got my mask on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top