Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 02:31 AM

Christmas

This means different things to different people, so I wondered what it means to you.

I've always loved Christmas, up until a couple of years ago that is. I used to love the decorations, the tree, buying presents and everything about it, but now I dread it. I've nobody to buy presents for anymore, not that I could ever afford much, but it would give me pleasure to find some little thing and hope it would be appreciated.

I am absolutely NOT religious at all, but I did enjoy the gentle warmth of feeling that Christmas used to give me as a child and into adulthood.

I shall be spending Christmas Day alone this year for the very first time in my life.

What do others who live alone with no family do on Christmas Day?
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 12:48 PM

Re: Christmas

Well Mollie to be honest I have hated Christmas for many years. I don't believe in a God and I don't have children so the whole thing is pretty meaningless to me. This is the first year though that I shall be on my own following the death of my partner in July. I may have a friend coming over for the day or I may be on my own. Either way it will be just another day. I am very busy at work around that time as well so really see Christmas as a few extra days off.

I am always glad when its all over thats for sure.

Bah Humbug !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 01:25 PM

I hate Christmas and will be glad when it is all over.
It holds too many memories for me and I prefer to be on my own.

Most of my Christmases have been spent in the homes of other people, I have vowed that from now on I will stay at home no matter what. It sounds a bit selfish I know but I think my age has earned me the right to choose .
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 05:22 PM

I've celebrated at home by myself since '64 when my Dad died. I decorate and have a traditional meal by myself. It really is just another day, as I'm not particularly religious even having been raised Catholic. But it'd feel odd not to do the traditional things.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 05:42 PM

I used to make a big thing of it when my kids were small and enjoyed doing so but lately they have gone their own way so its just another day. Im not working until boxing day night and I think my daughter will be here for christmas day dinner but we're both a pair of miseries so I dont suppose it will be a fun filled day. Mind you my work mates are all talking about it and one says she is cooking for 15!! I would rather be alone thank you very much.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Christmas has changed so much over the years but I still like it. We go to our daughter's house on Christmas Day after years of hosting it ourselves. I suppose the enjoyment has a lot to do with the excitement of the grandchildren and joining in playing games with them ...... for me it's all about having my children and grandchildren around me.

On New Year's Day, we invite them all to us and I cook a Christmas meal for everyone. I always save one little Christmas present on the tree for everyone and Katie and Jamie delight in finding them and handing them round.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Mollie, Christmas if for family, to share the love they have and enjoy the homely atmosphere that family gatherings bring.

If you come on this forum on Christmas day I promise that I will talk with you so that you will not be completely alone.

I love Christmas, the twelve days not the 44 commercial days, it brings a lot of memories and happiness to a lot of people but it can bring sorrow, so we all need to try to share Christmas with those who are vunerable or lonely as well as with Family.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 07:57 PM

I think that too many people make the common mistake of confusing alone with lonely. Two completely different states.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I think that too many people make the common mistake of confusing alone with lonely. Two completely different states.
Absolutely Eileen being 'alone' is a personal choice and quite different from being 'lonely' which is usually the result of circumstances not choice.

I battle really hard to be alone because people are afraid I might be lonely
Tweety
Scotland
Tweety is female  Tweety has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2011, 08:43 PM

I've had all the family (up to 14) around on Christmas day, but for the last few years it's been just the 2 of us. I LOVE IT! yeah it's nice to have them all, but it's blooming hard work. My hubby and I are on about going out this year, I don't care either way tbh.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top