Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 01:02 AM

Bonfires and Garden Incinerators

Hi

Councils cannot ban you from having a bonfirs or an incinerator in your garden except in certain very specific circumstances..

Firstly if you are a Council tenant.

Secondly, unless the bonfire or incinerator is a Statutory Nuisance.

This is a high level of proof.

They cannot issue a blanket ban.

Garden Incinerators are not banned in the UK and are widely sold.

If you only burn dry material there is no issue.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 01:08 AM

Re: Bonfires and Garden Incinerators

There's no fire without smoke...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Councils cannot ban you from having a bonfirs or an incinerator in your garden except in certain very specific circumstances..

They cannot issue a blanket ban.

Oh yes they can!

Try having a bonfire in the bush fire season.

...but anyway:

Backyard burning and unauthorised incineration are prohibited at all times in all council areas in the Sydney, Wollongong and Newcastle regions, and in other NSW council areas listed in Schedule 8 of the Clean Air Regulation.

And you know that NSW stands for Newcastle Sydney Wollongong

The days when every Australian backyard had an incinerator are long gone.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 07:03 AM

Our Parish Council has stopped us from having/using them during this plague - out of consideration for the fact that more people are taking advantage of this warm weather and sitting out in their gardens. Because of lock down they cannot go anywhere else and it would be selfish to spoil what little pleasure can be found in these strange times by forcing them to stay inside with doors and windows closed.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Like those we are experiencing right now!

Mups put this excellent linky up in another thread explaining exactly why bonfires etc., are not allowed.

https://www.bexley.gov.uk/news/coron...uring-lockdown
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 08:49 AM

When I was growing up it was good to have a bonfire at the bottom of the garden.
The gardens were so large in those days and were used properly for growing veggies and fruit so you needed a place to burn the waste that never went back into the soil.

Not like today were councils have recycling plants and you can get rid of most garden waste that way.

Today being a person that suffers severely with lung problems I hate the effing gits that have fires around here and if I was strong enough I would take a baseball bat to each and everyone of them.
There simply is no need for garden fires in this day and age.
Those that do have them if they have neighbours they should think about them before lighting the bloody things.
Many a time in the summer I will have to close all my windows and doors and sit in doors using my o2 cylinder.

I also hate people that cannot start a bbq without first covering the charcoal in fluid. The fumes stink to high heaven if they cannot start a bbq properly they should be banned from doing it or go to efffing night school and learn the basics of fire starting.
Such stupid people all of them.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

23-04-2020, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
when i was growing up it was good to have a bonfire at the bottom of the garden.
The gardens were so large in those days and were used properly for growing veggies and fruit so you needed a place to burn the waste that never went back into the soil.

Not like today were councils have recycling plants and you can get rid of most garden waste that way.

Today being a person that suffers severely with lung problems i hate the effing gits that have fires around here and if i was strong enough i would take a baseball bat to each and everyone of them.
There simply is no need for garden fires in this day and age.
Those that do have them if they have neighbours they should think about them before lighting the bloody things.
Many a time in the summer i will have to close all my windows and doors and sit in doors using my o2 cylinder.

I also hate people that cannot start a bbq without first covering the charcoal in fluid. The fumes stink to high heaven if they cannot start a bbq properly they should be banned from doing it or go to efffing night school and learn the basics of fire starting.
Such stupid people all of them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Like those we are experiencing right now!

Mups put this excellent linky up in another thread explaining exactly why bonfires etc., are not allowed.

https://www.bexley.gov.uk/news/coron...uring-lockdown
Hi

The specific circumstances are defined in law.

It has to be a statutory nuisance, plenty of Case Law on that, it has to produce significant amounts of smoke and be of a frequency to cause annoyance.

There are certain things which can be a one off offence, such as burning stuff which produces toxic fumes.

The link Mups put confirms this.

Parish Councils have no such powers at all.

As regards my particular circumstances.I do not have bonfires.

I have a garden incinerator in which I burn dry woody material

I do talk to the nice neighbours when I use it, and they talk to me when they are using theirs.

It is no great shakes.

I compost everything that can be composted and being a fisherman, I also have a wormery.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 10:46 AM

All areas are asking us not to burn stuff at the moment.

" Bonfires

Please don't have bonfires

With everyone staying at home during these difficult times, we are asking residents to be considerate to their neighbours and avoid having bonfires.

Smoke from fires can:

aggravate the symptoms of vulnerable people
cause people stress when they are staying at home to shield, isolate or social distance.

Additionally, the risk of uncontrolled fires places unnecessary demand on the Fire Service.

By not having bonfires you are supporting everyone to stay at home and allowing the council and the Fire Service to focus resources where they are most needed.

I think apart from legal regulations, we are being asked at the moment not to do it because so many people are at home now, and as Tabby said, families being out in their gardens in this beautiful weather.

Personally, I feel burning rubbish in gardens in a populated area is an act of pure selfishness and lack of courtesy for anyone else.

I have a neighbour that repeatedly burns foul stinking stuff and he has had his last chance now. Next time I will report him.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-04-2020, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
All areas are asking us not to burn stuff at the moment.

" Bonfires

Please don't have bonfires

With everyone staying at home during these difficult times, we are asking residents to be considerate to their neighbours and avoid having bonfires.

Smoke from fires can:

aggravate the symptoms of vulnerable people
cause people stress when they are staying at home to shield, isolate or social distance.

Additionally, the risk of uncontrolled fires places unnecessary demand on the Fire Service.

By not having bonfires you are supporting everyone to stay at home and allowing the council and the Fire Service to focus resources where they are most needed.

I think apart from legal regulations, we are being asked at the moment not to do it because so many people are at home now, and as Tabby said, families being out in their gardens in this beautiful weather.

Personally, I feel burning rubbish in gardens in a populated area is an act of pure selfishness and lack of courtesy for anyone else.

I have a neighbour that repeatedly burns foul stinking stuff and he has had his last chance now. Next time I will report him.
Hi

A Garden Incinerator is very different to a Bonfire.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top