Join for free
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 06:23 PM

Are you able to deal with another three weeks of this lockdown?

I am used to a solitary life as I live on my own. Working shifts years' ago and then being self-employed means, by necessity, I am rather a 'loner'. However, after nearly four weeks this is getting more than a bit much. Goodness knows what a further three weeks at least, of this continuing lockdown will be like?

The 'at risk group' I am in comes under 'older age' with underlying health conditions, yet I cannot get home deliveries for food due to the lack of delivery slots. Also 'click and collect' which is only four miles from me would be ideal, this though seems also to be having problems.

The few family members I have live about five miles' away but I've not seen any of them since mid-February. They have underlying health problems too so are in the 'at risk group, meaning they cannot help me out. I take a risk every time I do my shopping but there's no alternative. At this rate 'the men in white coats' will be visiting soon, it's driving me round the twist 'living' every day of every week like this!

I often wonder, does the government realise there are people who are on their own entirely?
I cannot be the only one in this situation!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52313715

What do others think, are you going to be able to deal with this lockdown continuing for a further three weeks, at least?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 06:43 PM

Re: Are you able to deal with another three weeks of this lockdown?

Baz, I know it is so difficult, and all our lives have changed enormously. I too, can do almost nothing that I previously enjoyed.

I am sure the Government are fully aware that many people are living entirely alone, and not only older people, some younger people have no one too, but what can they do about it with a pandemic raging?

We put lots of links up on the other thread about ways of getting help, did you see those?

It is really hard I know, and miserable, lonely and depressing, but what choice do we have?
There will be many, many people feeling the same as you, but we have to stay home as much as we possibly can, or risk getting very ill - or even worse.
That is the only alternative - go out and come home with more than you bargained for.

Were you very active before this lockdown? What were your hobbies?
Have you a garden you can at least get outside in or talk to neighbours over the fence? Have you friends you can chat to on the phone?

If you really feel you can't cope, try and do something positive about it before it takes hold.
My friend uses the 'MIND' charity for help with her son and she says they are really good.

Have a look:

https://www.mind.org.uk/

Cheer up Baz, it WILL be over soon, then you will be one of the lucky survivors, unlike some poor souls.

P.S. Have a read of this as well, you might find something here that's applicable.

https://mentalhealth-uk.org/help-and...mental-health/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 06:49 PM

Sorry Baz, I forgot to say, this was the other thread about mental health throughout this lockdown. Don't know if you read it before?
There are more thoughts and interesting links there that may help.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...t=67431&page=2
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 06:51 PM

Unfortunately we have no option. I fear it will gone for considerably longer too. One of my young Granddaughters is in a one bedroom flat with no garden. I feel so sorry for her. We Facetime her a lot but it's so substitute for freedom of movement. Stay safe and stay strong folks. Everything comes to an end.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I am used to a solitary life as I live on my own. Working shifts years' ago and then being self-employed means, by necessity, I am rather a 'loner'. However, after nearly four weeks this is getting more than a bit much. Goodness knows what a further three weeks at least, of this continuing lockdown will be like?

The 'at risk group' I am in comes under 'older age' with underlying health conditions, yet I cannot get home deliveries for food due to the lack of delivery slots. Also 'click and collect' which is only four miles from me would be ideal, this though seems also to be having problems.

The few family members I have live about five miles' away but I've not seen any of them since mid-February. They have underlying health problems too so are in the 'at risk group, meaning they cannot help me out. I take a risk every time I do my shopping but there's no alternative. At this rate 'the men in white coats' will be visiting soon, it's driving me round the twist 'living' every day of every week like this!

I often wonder, does the government realise there are people who are on their own entirely?

What do others think, are you going to be able to deal with this lockdown continuing for a further three weeks, at least?
Have you tried iceland Baz? they are the only ones we have managed
to get deliveries from albeit on a n inconsistent basis so far!
We were beginning to think that we would be starving to death never
mind the virus?
Things seem to be improving because we have just secured a place
at morrisons just yesterday, but we had to join a so called delivery
club to get it! (cost £35 per year?So now awaitng a slot to be allocated
Maybe you could try that? Anyway good luck and keep well!

Donkeyman! 👍👍👍
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

I can take another three weeks, but then what? another three months, another three years?

I'm beginning to lose interest in doing things, because I can't do them anyway. My life is losing its momentum.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 07:03 PM

Thanks for your reply Mups, your words of reassurance and the links. I am reasonably strong-minded and have put up with a lot over the last 40+ years and not buckled, but this is proving to be the worst of the worst.

If I am feeling this way then how on earth do others manage? Like those who are less resilient or already have problems such as anxiety or learning difficulties, or are older and suffer from dementia, some cannot even understand what is happening.

I am lucky compared to some, I know that. My garden is there to sit in or work in, I am independent and have a house that always needs something doing to keep it in good order, in short I have everything I need. The thought though of yet another three weeks of this really is the absolute pits. It got me to wondering how others are going to manage yet more social isolation, so I thought I would just post and ask?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I can take another three weeks, but then what? another three months, another three years?

I'm beginning to lose interest in doing things, because I can't do them anyway. My life is losing its momentum.
I know what you mean. There are several things I need to do at home but can't get the materials I need so I'm quite happy not to do them but I am getting lazier as the weeks go on.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 07:18 PM

Baz .... you're not alone
I'm sick to the back teeth too and worried how much of my business will be left after it's all over. I've got no faith in the government whatsoever, they seem to be bumbling around like half soaked idiots with no clear strategy and making it up as they go along. Closely followed by the police who it appears have a few control freaks hidden amongst their ranks.
And I can't imagine the austerity that will follow this.

Punch a cushion or smash a pillow on the floor ... that's what I do.
Meanwhile, the weather is kinda nice and uplifting.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 07:21 PM

We are alright at the moment as we have been able to get out in the garden and potter around in this lovely weather. I think we could manage another three weeks, the secret is to keep your mind occupied with something, even if it's a crossword or a jigsaw.

Mr Mags reads a lot of books and he is happy doing that, I have little jobs to do about the house and come on here throughout the day so that's me occupied too. We haven't had to resort to the jigsaw stage yet. Also we are in touch by phone with our son and daughter a good few times throughout the week checking to see if we're ok and need anything.

I appreciate we are lucky we have each other for company and how it can be very lonesome for some having to spend the time indoors day after day though.

This will come to an end one day, we must all keep strong and take one day at a time, remember every day passing is a day nearer the end of this nightmare.

My best wishes go out to all of you. xx

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top