Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 02:49 PM

The Forces titles

Why do those with a rank in the forces still hang onto their rank in civvy street? They are just Mr or Mrs or even Miss when they leave.

Seems to me a form of boasting " look what I did in the services, didn't I do well"
Pompous gits
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 02:52 PM

Re: The Forces titles

I,ve often wondered that. maybe I shoiuld still use my old rank Corporal.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 03:01 PM

I've often wondered this so, I've just Googled it.

"Under the Regulations, only retired officers of the Regular Army and officers retiring from the auxiliary forces with 15 years' commissioned service have the privilege of retaining their rank."

Debrett's also gives this information regarding ranks, etc in our armed forces.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 04:22 PM

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 04:29 PM

Under what regulations? Are they legal in civil life
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 04:39 PM

I don't have a problem with it. I think they deserve some sort of recognition for what they have achieved, even when they have left the forces. Presidents are still called 'President' when they leave and they do much less IMO. Of course we all boast about things we have done or have had in the past so in that case we must all be pompous gits.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 05:04 PM

Strange that this isn't applied to other walks of life.

"Hi, I'm Rapist John Smith", or "please call me Convicted Criminal Adam Jones" etc etc
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I don't have a problem with it. I think they deserve some sort of recognition for what they have achieved, even when they have left the forces. Presidents are still called 'President' when they leave and they do much less IMO. Of course we all boast about things we have done or have had in the past so in that case we must all be pompous gits.
I don't have a problem with it either, unless the holder is a pompous git .....

Many retired officers will be long-serving and have lived with much of their life with a rank - it's part of their identity and serves to indicate, as you say, their level of "achievement", which usually extends beyond the manual or technical skills of civvy street - even Major Charles Ingram (a Royal Engineer) was sent to Banja Luka in Bosnia for six months on United Nations peacekeeping duties.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 05:35 PM

Of course they are allowed to use their titles, they have earned them. The same with the those who are earned university degrees, those who are honoured by the Queen and more.

Why on earth would they boast about themselves? It is more likely jeaoulsy on the part of the person thinking that
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 05:37 PM

They have served their country after all, why shouldn’t they keep their rank?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top