Join for free
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 01:13 PM

Monies for Good Causes, NOT, for profit.

Could government, local councils run lottery schemes to raise monies for NHS, Education and other need schemes

I read on another post, 99 yr old war veteran raising monies for the NHS by walking lengths of his garden……. His gesture and the monies he has raised is fantastic.

Okay the NHS runs a Lottery (Is It the NHS though) which since 2011 has raised £92 million, all for good causes too.

But only 20p of every £1 ticket purchased finds its way to the NHS and the many other good causes.

So where does the rest of the 80p go ?......or since 2011 thats £368 million (approx.)

The National Lottery is much the same, with only 28%, 56p out of every £2 ticket purchased going to good causes…..again, where does the rest of the millions actually go.

So, could the Government, Councils run such schemes, with say 80% of each purchase finding its way to a good cause.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 01:43 PM

Re: Monies for Good Causes, NOT, for profit.

Best would be a national lottery that everything other than essential overheads goes as prizes. When we used to buy the occasional ticket, and it was occasional, we didn't give s tinkers cuss about "good causes", we just wanted a chance to win money. I believe the same is true of most punters.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 01:50 PM

Where doe the extra money go?
Look at the salary and lifestyle of the top dogs running the charities and you will see where it goes.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Where doe the extra money go?
Look at the salary and lifestyle of the top dogs running the charities and you will see where it goes.
Couldn't agree more, Ben
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Where dose the extra money go?
After salaries, etc, the taxman takes a good lump too before any winning s are paid tax free.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 03:48 PM

I was not referring to lotteries but to monies donated the type of charity that asks you to donate X number of pounds a month.
I don,t think, though I may be wrong, that these charities are subject to tax. IMO if they ask for X number of pounds a month then X number of pounds should go to that charity.
You will have no doubt read of this ex soldier that has raised a huge amount for the NHS. Will he take so much out for expenses?. I don,t think so.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Best would be a national lottery that everything other than essential overheads goes as prizes. When we used to buy the occasional ticket, and it was occasional, we didn't give s tinkers cuss about "good causes", we just wanted a chance to win money. I believe the same is true of most punters.
Exactly so ...

We buy a lottery ticket to win loadsa money.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top