Join for free
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 12:21 PM

Great opportunities.

Just been out to drop my daughter off at work.

On the way, there were some workers filling in some pot holes on a road. It occurred to me that with traffic at such an all time sparsity, this is a great opportunity for this work to be carried out.

Also, as we have all read, the UK will need to have a load of veg and fruit pickers soon to harvest crops. This is another great opportunity to utilise those healthy workers in the UK rather than having to rely on shipping in cheap labour from abroad.

All subject to safe distancing, obviously.

Can you think of any other jobs (especially those based outdoors where distancing might be relatively easily applied) which now seems to be a good time to take advantage of?
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 12:50 PM

Re: Great opportunities.

I read somewhere bicycle sale are higher than they were at Christmas. I wonder why that is ?, could it also be less cars meaning, roads safer to commute by bike ?

I think there will be many available for crop picking this season.

Apparently thousands from the UK travel abroad to do crop picking, Olives, tomatoes and other stuff.... their earnings are literally just food and board.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 02:42 PM

There are whole 'temporary villages' set up around here for the seasonal pickers, but they are housed in close proximity with some communal facilities.

In a couple of weeks the asparagus and strawberries will be ready, if I wasn't at high risk and frequently ill I would go and pick produce, it is a job I enjoy .
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 03:07 PM

I noticed a couple of minor pot holes (1" or so deep) in the road out side have been skim filled. In all likelihood, they'll break down and open up again come the next decent frost.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top