Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 07:04 PM

Self isolation or social distancing?

I won't be self isolating. I like to see & be around people.

I shall be social distancing instead. Today my daughter & son in law visited. Tony & I sat on the settee which was a good 6ft away from the chairs they sat in.
She brought me my mothers day present & it was hard not to give he a hug but she understood.

Ady & family will be coming tomorrow & so will my daughter Sue. I shall follow the same procedure with them. It will be very hard not to cuddle Josh though but I must keep the distance from them all.

I shall observe Tesco's shopping hour for oldies and go at that time to do my shopping. It's Mon, Weds, Friday 9.00am - 10.00 am.
I shall be wearing a surgical mask in Tesco with a cloth soaked in Dettol inside the mask.

Every Weds (weather permitting) I shall be meeting my friend Chris for a walk in the countryside.
We will do things slightly different though. We will go in our own cars to a meeting point & walk from there - keeping to the social distance (6ft) We will take a picnic and sit on opposite sides of a bench while we eat it. Hopefully this will work out.

My other friend Jean is isolating herself more than me - she's been having her family do the shopping & leave it on the doorstep. She has said she will drive in the car & go a walk somewhere on her own. I persuaded her to meet me on a local park & we could walk & chat keeping to the 6ft distance recommended. She said she will do that but I'm not sure she will - she's a bit paranoid.

Well, that's the only social life I have planned. I have stuff to do in the garden which will give me pleasure and I will go little walks with Tony - also longer walks on my own as I have resumed my hill walking. Trying to keep fit & active to ward off depression.

Would be interested to know how our other members are going to cope..
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 07:41 PM

Re: Self isolation or social distancing?

I have no option but to stay in my home most of the time. However, I must get my own groceries and meds and for this I try to keep my distance. However, when standing in line at the grocery store, I am not in control of the person behind me. They seem to think that if they move up too close to me, they will get through the line more quickly.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 07:51 PM

I keep away from everyone , as much as is possible .TBH
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I won't be self isolating. I like to see & be around people.

I shall be social distancing instead. Today my daughter & son in law visited. Tony & I sat on the settee which was a good 6ft away from the chairs they sat in.
She brought me my mothers day present & it was hard not to give he a hug but she understood.

Ady & family will be coming tomorrow & so will my daughter Sue. I shall follow the same procedure with them. It will be very hard not to cuddle Josh though but I must keep the distance from them all.

I shall observe Tesco's shopping hour for oldies and go at that time to do my shopping. It's Mon, Weds, Friday 9.00am - 10.00 am.
I shall be wearing a surgical mask in Tesco with a cloth soaked in Dettol inside the mask.

Every Weds (weather permitting) I shall be meeting my friend Chris for a walk in the countryside.
We will do things slightly different though. We will go in our own cars to a meeting point & walk from there - keeping to the social distance (6ft) We will take a picnic and sit on opposite sides of a bench while we eat it. Hopefully this will work out.

My other friend Jean is isolating herself more than me - she's been having her family do the shopping & leave it on the doorstep. She has said she will drive in the car & go a walk somewhere on her own. I persuaded her to meet me on a local park & we could walk & chat keeping to the 6ft distance recommended. She said she will do that but I'm not sure she will - she's a bit paranoid.

Well, that's the only social life I have planned. I have stuff to do in the garden which will give me pleasure and I will go little walks with Tony - also longer walks on my own as I have resumed my hill walking. Trying to keep fit & active to ward off depression.

Would be interested to know how our other members are going to cope..
Errrmmm....... I didn't know there were options!!!! I thought that people aged 70+ are supposed to self isolate whether they like it or not!!!!

There are no choices in this! Over 70 or high risk with underlying symptoms...........STAY AT HOME!!!

Under 70 - without health issues - social distancing.

NO CHOICES!!

The UK is only a week or so behind Italy. At present we have only 233 deaths. Italy has over 5000. Do some maths........14 days...... and approx 4750 deaths........

We are all social butterflies...........but this is a situation where YOU HAVE NO CHOICE!!!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 08:08 PM

Both my husband and I are self isolating together, if one did and the other didn't we would never forgive ourself if we happened to carry the virus home with us and passed it on to the other one.

Our son left Mr Mag's birthday present and card for the 24th here when he visited us at the beginning of the month on my birthday. My daughter left my Mother's Day card and present on the doorstep this afternoon and rang the bell to alert us of it. We saw her through the window and as things are, we accepted it has to be that way. She is also doing all our shopping for us and leaving it the same way.

We are doing our bit and following the Governments requests so that we won't catch the virus hopefully and we will not be guilty of passing it on.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 08:20 PM

No one will be entering my house , I can't take the risk,
...I will not be shopping again for some considerable time ,
...The only outing I will have (if we are not locked down soon) will be to the nature reserve to meet my family keeping a good distance apart but this is not easy when you have young grandchildren who like to cuddle and hold hands.

I talk to the 5 grandchildren every day, email and F Time . I am so sad we will no longer be going on holiday together to the beautiful house overlooking the sea we had last year Still better to miss one holiday then not be here to have anymore.

Not only am I protecting myself but I think I owe it to others not to take up valuable hospital resources which I know will be the case if I catch the virus.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Errrmmm....... I didn't know there were options!!!! I thought that people aged 70+ are supposed to self isolate whether they like it or not!!!!

There are no choices in this! Over 70 or high risk with underlying symptoms...........STAY AT HOME!!!

Under 70 - without health issues - social distancing.

NO CHOICES!!

The UK is only a week or so behind Italy. At present we have only 233 deaths. Italy has over 5000. Do some maths........14 days...... and approx 4750 deaths........

We are all social butterflies...........but this is a situation where YOU HAVE NO CHOICE!!!!
I thought just the same as you Lindyloo altho to be honest I don’t know Carol and Tony’ age s
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 09:32 PM

If you have family in the house, you will eventually touch surfaces they have touched, including the Mother's Day present. This is the way the virus can be spread according to all reports.

We have had items left on the doorstep by the family and these items have been sprayed with a disinfectant spray and left for a while before being brought indoors.

If family want to talk to us on these occasions, It is done with them staying outside and standing more than 2 metres away from the door.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 09:33 PM

Mr Glanny being 70 stays in the car when we go shopping. Everyone was keeping their distance from each other today when I was at the shops in our local small town. There was even a guy at the entrance to our independent supermarket making sure people kept their distance from each other and announcements in the store about it especially at the checkout queue.
We will not be having visitors coming into the house.

Without making light of the situation, this made me laugh today and we all need a laugh

https://mobile.twitter.com/clare_doc...03252007276544
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
If you have family in the house, you will eventually touch surfaces they have touched, including the Mother's Day present. This is the way the virus can be spread according to all reports.

That's exactly what I thought too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top