Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 03:55 PM

Ration Books

With the attitude of many shoppers bent on taking home as much as possible without regard to those less able to stock up with anything and everything available, I think it's now time for the government to reintroduce Ration Books such as were issued during WWII and some of which were still around for a few years after VE day. At least with official rationing, fairer distribution of food and other essentials would save all the bad feeling that seems to be around in most parts of the country and everyone would know they will get their fair share without joining long queues in the hope of something to take home.

Your opinions please.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 04:00 PM

Re: Ration Books

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
With the attitude of many shoppers bent on taking home as much as possible without regard to those less able to stock up with anything and everything available, I think it's now time for the government to reintroduce Ration Books such as were issued during WWII and some of which were still around for a few years after VE day. At least with official rationing, fairer distribution of food and other essentials would save all the bad feeling that seems to be around in most parts of the country and everyone would know they will get their fair share without joining long queues in the hope of something to take home.

Your opinions please.
I wonder how long it would take to get it rolling!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 04:18 PM

Not a bad idea perhaps, but doubt it could be implemented quick enough.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 04:22 PM

I can only hope that when people have stocked up to the gunwhales they will stop shopping and we can get back to some semblance of sanity!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 04:24 PM

Your opinions please.
I have been suggesting this very thing on social media sites, including Facebook.
I suppose that the need for organising ID, records, etc, and producing the books is too much trouble for the government.

A much easier option would be to ask all outlets to allow the purchase of no more than three of any item by any purchaser. Most of these places already have CCTV, so their security people could use this to ensure that greedy hoarders do not return to the store and pick up even more to add to their booty.

It is rather sad that we can no longer rely on people's common sense and responsibility, as we could a few decades ago. O tempore, O mores.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 04:55 PM

Ration Books
A bad idea, the elderly and vulnerable would still have to risk contamination when going out to use them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have been suggesting this very thing on social media sites, including Facebook.
I suppose that the need for organising ID, records, etc, and producing the books is too much trouble for the government.

A much easier option would be to ask all outlets to allow the purchase of no more than three of any item by any purchaser. Most of these places already have CCTV, so their security people could use this to ensure that greedy hoarders do not return to the store and pick up even more to add to their booty.

It is rather sad that we can no longer rely on people's common sense and responsibility, as we could a few decades ago. O tempore, O mores.
My local (posh) supermarket, Booths, has introduced preferential shopping for the elderly between 0930-1100 and a limit of 1 item per food type for most, but not all, categories for everyone. There is, however, no limit on beer purchases .....

Since all purchases have to be by card now, perhaps there is technology available for checkouts to identify returning looters and have them banned .....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 05:10 PM

Personally, I don't think this could be rolled out in time. Even if it was, I bet the Government would award the contract to a printing house in Europe because our printers would be too expensive.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 05:17 PM

Your opinions please.
Good idea in theory - but it will all be over by the time they do anything about it!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 05:25 PM

Hi

Ration Books work well with ID Cards.

We do not have ID Cards.

It would be a huge logistical exercise to get such a system up and running under normal circumstances and simply not practicable now.

One solution would be to stamp the backs of your hands when you shop with an indelible ink, but that would mean every member of the family going along as you would be limited to an amount per person.

Anything less than this is too easy to fiddle.

Those unable to visit would have a pack of essentials delivered weekly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top