Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Butternut squash, why?

I really can't understand the sudden popularity of Butternut squash . Ok fine if there is nothing else to eat, but for me they taste very similar to marrows which don't taste of anything much at all (unless they are part of Piccalilli ).

I like courgettes cooked in moments with a little butter and garlic but the rest of the 'marrowy pumpkiny ' things, I feel they really aren't worth the effort which goes into preparing them .

Perhaps I have this opinion because I like strong flavours, or maybe it is something to do with my first job where the kennel maids were fed almost exclusively on marrows and potatoes.

Am I the only one to think this way
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 02:36 PM

Re: Butternut squash, why?

Why indeed Meg! I can't see the attraction of butternut squash either. It seems a very popular thing to start off with when weaning babies these days - I suppose because it is very bland.
I find marrows useless, tasteless things as well. I once bought a big marrow and stuffed it with mince and onions. After all the trouble of preparing it and baking it, all we ate was the mince bit from the middle. Never done another one.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 03:37 PM

My S-I-L grows Butternut Squash every year and always brings me some. I tried the first one, which he told me to cut into portions and roast ...... I was unimpressed, yes, to me they are a different shaped marrow!

I get the feeling that he is impressed by his talent at growing these weird things but I haven't the heart to tell him that I don't like them!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 03:57 PM

Add me to the list who finds them almost inedible; bland and tasteless. I don't care for yellow squash either, same reason.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 04:08 PM

I am feeling quite relieved I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my taste buds and too much spice had killed of my ability to appreciate the delicate taste of squash.

I spent ages making a squash soup (producing lots of washing up in the process ) then wished I had made something with a bit of taste like mushroom, pea and ham or minestrone instead.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Nice to know you're not alone, isn't it Meg? The only squash I enjoy is zucchini, and that's in a recipe heavy on onions, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes which I suppose are really masking the (non) taste of the zucchini.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 05:14 PM

It seems to be one of those pretentious vegetables like Rocket, that dinner snobs everywhere rave over.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

30-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
It seems to be one of those pretentious vegetables like Rocket, that dinner snobs everywhere rave over.
John that is another on my 'missable' list , give me lettuce and watercress anyday
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

30-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Same here: tried it. didn't care for it.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2011, 12:19 AM

Okay, I'm going to be different here. First time I tried butternut squash was when it was introduced to me by Slimming World, and the only way I like it is cubed and roasted. I do agree though that there isn't much taste to it.

As for the rocket - is that the rocket salad? I quite like that

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top