Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 01:40 AM

Minimum calories needed to survive

I am in a real bind. At age 73, with underlying health problems I do not have the strength to stand in line at the grocery store for 3 hours. From what I see on the news, there is little food anyway.

So, I must stretch the food I have on hand. [B]Does anyone know what the minimum calories I need to survive until I can buy more food ? [?B]

Everything indicates that it may be until August until this crisis is over and food is available.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 02:35 AM

Re: Minimum calories needed to survive

As you know, there are several books advocating the benefits of fasting for days and weeks at a time. Perhaps now is a convenient/necessary moment to revisit such concepts.
Grazing low carb/protein stuff according to availability isn't too far in our species' development and maybe it's time to reconsider our dietary habits. It'd certainly benefit us all financially, ecologically and perhaps healthwise.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 03:51 AM

Hi

You need very little to survive, 600 a day, but you do need the vitamins and trace elements.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You need very little to survive, 600 a day, but you do need the vitamins and trace elements.
Sorry swimfeeders - it is quite a lot more than that and your height,sex, activity, etc. also has a bearing on the number of kcals a person needs to keep ticking over.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 04:38 PM

An adult brain needs about 330 cals/day just to function so, 600cals/day total doesn't leave a lot for doing anything else except losing a great deal of weight. The 5:2 diet expects you to eat 800cals on the 2 fasting days.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Sorry swimfeeders - it is quite a lot more than that and your height,sex, activity, etc. also has a bearing on the number of kcals a person needs to keep ticking over.

Aerolor's right.

Bakerman, try this test, see if it's any help.
It's very quick and easy to do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/...es_do_you_need
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Aerolor's right.

Bakerman, try this test, see if it's any help.
It's very quick and easy to do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/...es_do_you_need

well, according to that test, I need 2,039 cals/day to MAINTAIN my weight. Current BMI 22

So, I would imagine that anything less than 2,039 cals/day would cause me to lose weight. Unfortunately, the test did not reveal how many cals I need to just survive.

Edit to add. If I lost 35 lbs and had a BMI of 20, I'd need 1,870 cals / day to maintain that weight.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 06:35 PM

I find it hard to believe that food won't be available as normal once the initial panic subsides, certainly before August, and if not then more will certainly die of starvation than of the disease itself....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Sorry swimmy - that is nonsense. On only 600c per day your internal organs would go into starvation mode and cause severe problems.

People, male and female, need a minimum of 1200 calories per day to survive healthily.

In case anyone wants to query how I know this - I have just completed a course at College - "Understanding Nutrition and Health" - came 2nd out of a class of 15.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I am in a real bind. At age 73, with underlying health problems I do not have the strength to stand in line at the grocery store for 3 hours. From what I see on the news, there is little food anyway.

So, I must stretch the food I have on hand. [B]Does anyone know what the minimum calories I need to survive until I can buy more food ? [?B]

Everything indicates that it may be until August until this crisis is over and food is available.
Is there anyone you can call upon to get you some food supplies, make some nutritious healthy soups and stews.
I wish I could help get your groceries.

Take care BM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top