Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 09:11 PM

For those not yet retired

If you are of age where you have to work how are you doing. Are you able to work from home?

Unfortunately my job can't be done from home and I have to go into the office. I work in admin in the mailroom of a huge call centre. Luckily there are only four of us in my office and we are shut away in an office with no windows and because of data protection, there are only a limited amount of people allowed to come into our office, so I don't feel quite so exposed. Also the company have ordered 400 laptops for many of the call centre staff to work from home which is a good thing, the workforce from tomorrow will be hugely reduced.

My husband is shortly going to be able to work from home which I'm very pleased about also, they are working on it and have given him a laptop and headset but as yet it's not set up.

So how are things at your workplace? How are they dealing with it.

If I'm honest I wish I didn't have to go to work at all at present.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 09:38 PM

Re: For those not yet retired

I've never had to work in a room without a window ... not sure I'd like that. Data protection, hmmmm
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 09:51 PM

Well I work in a care home, and, as yet there are no special measures in place other than more hand sanitizer gel is available
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I've never had to work in a room without a window ... not sure I'd like that. Data protection, hmmmm
Its not as bad as you think Doody, when I leave the office I get to look out of windows but most of the time I wish I didn't because it's raining and miserable out there LOL.

The data protection is so strict, I have to be very careful, I could lose my job if I'm not. I had a colleague who was sacked because of an error, granted she had had a warning before.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

16-03-2020, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Well I work in a care home, and, as yet there are no special measures in place other than more hand sanitizer gel is available
Stay safe Primus, I think special measures should definitely be put in place for care homes as these are the most vulnerable of people
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 10:22 PM

LQ
working in a room with no daylight is depriving you of vitimin D which daylight provides.

I don't know that companies are allowed to do that and also only presumable one door to escape by.

I have to wonder if your health and safety people in your firm are actually up to the job. at least if there is a union go and complain.

No way would I work in those conditions and they may actually be breaking employment laws, let alone individual work space which is mandatory

Oh yes I had to know these things (and loads more), when Sue an i had our own business
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

16-03-2020, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
LQ
working in a room with no daylight is depriving you of vitimin D which daylight provides.

I don't know that companies are allowed to do that and also only presumable one door to escape by.

I have to wonder if your health and safety people in your firm are actually up to the job. at least if there is a union go and complain.

No way would I work in those conditions and they may actually be breaking employment laws, let alone individual work space which is mandatory

Oh yes I had to know these things (and loads more), when Sue an i had our own business

Thanks for your concern Real. Luckily I only work 4 hours a day and leave at dinnertime. I think I'll look into that though. Cheers x
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

16-03-2020, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
LQ

Just looked it up. There is no legislation for it but I am allowed to take breaks whenever I please so I guess thats something.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 10:44 PM

Just had a notice from one of the estate agents I subcontract to informing me to enquire if their tenants have self isolated before I do any work for them. They have also put some strict measures in place for when I go and pick keys up from them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 10:48 PM

I am working part time in a supermarket so cannot work from home. I am happy to be doing my bit, getting as much as possible to customers as quickly as possible. Not everyone realises though that the empty shelves are not my fault.

Working is good, because it gives me a sense of normality.

Whichever supermarket you shop at, I can assure you that staff are doing their very best.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top