Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 10:12 PM

Fireworks

When oh when will these awful explosives be made illegal for sale to the public?

Only this week it was on the news that a 10 year old (?) boy had blown his thumb off in the Greater Manchester area. I don't doubt other such "accidents" have been caused in other parts of the country already as well.

I know we keep harping on about things when we were kids, but adding to that, our parents always bought the fireworks, and it was dad who set them off in the back yard on BONFIRE NIGHT and not a day before.

It's time that local authorities purchased these and paid for them by putting £1 extra on everybody's council tax during the month of, say September, then set up Bonfire Nights in various areas around the town or city for all to enjoy in safety. The extra £1 they would accrue from every householder in just one month would be more than enough to achieve this.

What do others think?
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 12:59 AM

Re: Fireworks

I remember bonfire night as a kid. We used to have bonfire, which we used as dens to play in before they were lit. Go penny for the guy to the local neighbours.
Firework used to be Bangers and rip raps which the lads would throw at you. Then we would have bake potatoes done on the bonfire.
Some good memory,
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 01:26 AM

You must be a lot younger than me then, Shaz. We never heard fireworks before Bonfire Night. Yes, we'd have a bommy out at the back as well, and mum would throw potatoes on to cook. They'd come out with the skins blackened and they tasted absolutely wonderful.

One particular year, around 1958, my dad lit a jumping jack and it chased my mum up the back steps into the kitchen. I'd never seen her jump around like that before and us kids were in fits laughing.

Today though, these fireworks are more advanced, if that's the right word, and are more dangerous than they were back when we were kids, so I honestly don't believe they should be on sale to the general public.
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 06:00 AM

I might just say no one loved bonfire night more than me as a child i would be out with my guy fawkes penny for the guy and build a huge bonfire and it was my favourite time of the year.
NOW>>>>>
Well i wont even go their when i lived over near wolverhampton it was like living in a war zone for 2 weeks it started a week before and went on a week after ..All the local pubs having firework displays on different nights and the local towns having large displays .The explosions were frightening from the big displays and i had horses at the back of me who often escaped round this time in fright.My dog was allways scared and we had to turn the television up and keep him wrapped up and calm .
When i got here last year i could hear a few fireworks on bonfire night but it wasnt loud as i have no public houses here or anywhere large so its bare minimum..I did hear some last night and callum was scared and was clutching his puppy blanket but i think they may have come from some Asians who are celebrating Diwali.
Fireworks are so expensive and loud now no one is satisfied with just a sparkler and fountain anymore it has to be earth trembling Bangs ..I have now gone off fireworks as i hate the animals being scared.I now think it should just be communal bonfires on one night only..

Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Ban them for good or bring back Guy Fawkes and lets help him to finish the job properly.
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 01:41 PM

Sorry to be a party pooper but I detest the onset of Bonfire night.Nothing against organised displays or the odd sparkler but the random use of the blasted things before and long after the event drives me mad.Some of them are like cruise missiles going off,which sets off an orchestra of car alarms and scares most of the pet and animal population to death.Hate them !......
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 01:43 PM

What a splendid idea AB.We dont have them really here but in Blackpool it was like the Blitz for weeks and my dog was petrified, in fact all my dogs have been but Sophie and Phoebe are spaniels and not even the shooting bothers them.( Sophie was the one I had before Phoebe)
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 04:05 PM

It's really only a problem here on this side of the Pond on the Fourth and New Years Eve, but I firmly believe in municipal displays ONLY; fireworks should never be sold to the general public. But, will never happen ....
The gun nuts also seem to be against banning fireworks too.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Many of the people who buy the fireworks way before Bonfire Night don't even know the meaning of Guy Fawkes Night. As a child, like others, I really looked forward to the Night..... there was never any misuse of fireworks, we all had a lovely, happy evening. Must admit though that I was always frightened of Jumping Jacks ..... everywhere you ran to try and dodge the things, they always appeared to follow you!
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Someone is letting fireworks off here and its only just gone 5 my callum is hysterical he was running round like a loony .I really do think it should be one night only .suppose i had better go and calm him down he wont go out to the loo now for hours..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top