Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 12:43 AM

House Sharing

Has anybody ever done this, or contemplated it? I have lived alone for the last three years since my partner died suddenly, and have thought about advertising a house-sharing deal. Don't know if it's a good idea or not.

I am able to manage financially on my own, but if I had a resident who would help out with utilities and rent, I'd be better off, not to mention the comfort of having another person under my roof.

BUT, who would I trust? How would I go about such a thing?

I've churned this idea in my head for ages now, and I don't know what to do so, what do others think? Should I or shouldn't I?

The person would have his/her own bedroom and living room so would be self-contained to a point, but would have to share bathroom and kitchen.

Mayhap it would be easiest to live alone, but I just wondered what others thought of this idea.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 01:21 AM

Re: House Sharing

I did it many years ago Mollie when I was in my late 20s. I'd just got divorced from husband no. 1 and somehow managed to buy him out by remortgaging and found myself not able to afford the mortgage on my salary so I advertised in the local paper. But in my case it was lodgers and they had to share the living room but more often than not they spent most of the evenings watching tv in their room.

I did it because of my financial situation at the time and did quite enjoy having 2 other people around - some stayed longer than others and there was just the one guy I asked to leave by making up some excuse.

The worst thing was them not cleaning up their own mess in the kitchen and bathroom and I think I had to lay down some ground rules.

I think I did it for 2 or 3 years before meeting my ex and moving in with him. It really did help me out financially and enabled me to keep on the house and whilst i probably wouldn't want to do it again as I like my own space, if ever I got short of dosh then i would rent my spare room out for a short while but know I would hate it.

I didn't really worry about Trusting anybody too much back then, relying mainly on gut instinct but I would worry more now and would probably be asking for references and would want to phone them as well.

I don't know if its a good idea for you or now, depends if you can bear the thought of having somebody in the house. I wonder if you would also need to make it legal and get some sort of contract drawn up, just a thought.

Wonder what the others will say
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 02:14 AM

I couldn't bear violating my privacy, even if I had to live on ramen noodles and canned beans! I'd absolutely hate it. But if it'd be absolutely necessary, check references thoroughly and have a written agreement laying out house rules. And preferably, a same sex tenant.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 07:24 AM

If it is mainly for some company then why not use one of the councils day centers, you would only have to go there when you wanted to.

As for house sharing, I am with Eileen on this, if I was the one left then I would have to have my own space and could not bear another invading it as it would be like cheating on my soul mate.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 08:29 AM

I would find it quite difficult, I need my own space and they would have to be really tidy and the trust, be really hard when they would be bringing their friends in and when your out of the house, what would they be doing, it's a tough one, I can see why you would want to for the reasons you stated but for me I would have it hard.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 09:11 AM

I'm with Eileen & Jean on this one; I love my own space and would become irritated if things weren't done or left in the manner I'm used to. Also there would be the added responsibility for that person should they fall ill or something.
butterfly
London
butterfly is female  butterfly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Have you considered this scheme?

http://www.mondaytofriday.com/

That way you get your home back for the weekends.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 10:05 AM

After my husband died I used to worry how I would cope with being alone when my son grew up and left home.

Now I can't stand the thought of sharing my house with anyone. Even if poverty reduced me to living in one room on broth wrapped in a blanket for warmth I wouldn't let out a room in my house.

When I have visitors to the house although it is nice to see them I am relieved when they have gone and my house is all mine once more .
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 12:09 PM

I think social services also run a scheme for part time lodgers
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 12:11 PM

I lived with my male friend for 18 months up until July this year.. It was a fab time and we got on like a house on fire yet lived almost totally separately. Sometimes we'd cook and sit down together or go out fishing or doing stuff with the dogs and at other times i'd be a recluse and not even know where he was. We were and have always only ever been friends and he is a real friend. My partner knows and always had every faith in him and when he'd come to stay we'd all get on perfectly. In some ways we were almost like a couple but without the relationship.. He'd drive me mad and me him.. He knew if I was sad and needed to go for a spin out and do something and it all just clicked. I miss him lots but I wouldnt change what ive got now for all the tea in China.. and I think it only worked because it did lol No effort, nothing pretend or false, a spattering of luck & something that you just cant explain.. There's no way i'd do it with a stranger or in fact ever again..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top