Join for free
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2009, 10:45 PM

Roman Polanski

Your thoughts? I'm personally delighted that this pedophile is finally going to do time.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 09:13 AM

Re: Roman Polanski

His supporters are up in arms but I think it`s about time he faced up to his accusers.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 09:21 AM

Isn't it odd that the US authorities have 'nabbed him' after all this time? I wonder what lies behind it?
I don't know what good can come of anything after all this time (and the victim has said she would prefer the issue to be dropped) but grown men should not inveigle(?sp) 13 year old girls into drink and sex and get away with it.
So, I'm in two minds but tend to the view that the child protection agencies would spend their time better looking after today's children. Maybe Polanski should just be made to hand over a pile of cash to charities helping abused kids?
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 10:30 AM

I imagine it`s more to do with the change of regime in the US? I don`t think it is a waste of money because it sends a clear message that being rich and famous is no reason to ignore the crime.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Granted: he is talented, had a miserable childhood, lost a wife in a horrible murder, and is in his 70s. But...he admitted it, fled justice when the plea bargain to allow for the 42 days served (42 days for raping a 13 year old child!! )fell thru. A fugitive has to know sometime he will be caught. I have no sympathy whatsoever for him.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Just been looking up this story, . . this is the update.

On March 11, 1977, Polanski was arrested for the sexual assault of a thirteen-year-old, Samantha Geimer, that occurred the day before at the Hollywood home of actor Jack Nicholson.[44][53] The girl testified that Polanski gave her both champagne and Quaalude, a sedative drug, and despite repeated protests and being asked to stop, he performed oral sex, intercourse and sodomy upon her.[54][55][56][57] A grand jury charged him with rape by use of drugs, perversion, sodomy, lewd and lascivious act upon a child under fourteen, and furnishing a controlled substance to a minor.[58] At his arraignment Polanski pleaded not guilty to all charges.[59]

In an effort to preserve her anonymity, Geimer's attorney arranged a plea bargain which Polanski accepted, and, under the terms, five of the initial charges were to be dismissed.[60] He pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of engaging in unlawful intercourse with a minor, a charge which is synonymous under Californian law with statutory rape.[60][61] The judge received a probation report and psychiatric evaluation, both indicating that Polanski should not serve jail time,[62] in response the film maker was ordered to a 90 day psychiatric evaluation at the Chino state prison.[63] On January 28, 1978 Polanski was released after 42 days.[64] Despite expectations and recommendations that he would receive only probation at sentencing, the judge "suggested to Polanski's attorneys" that more jail time and possible deportation were in order.[61][65] Upon learning of the judge's plans Polanski fled to France on February 1, 1978, hours before he was to be formally sentenced.[58] As a French citizen, he has been protected from extradition and has mostly lived in France, avoiding countries likely to extradite him.[66] Because he fled prior to sentencing, all six of the original charges remain pending.[67]

Geimer sued Polanski in 1988, alleging sexual assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and seduction. In 1993 Polanski agreed to pay her at least $500,000 as part of a civil settlement. Geimer and her lawyers confirmed the settlement was complete.[68][69]

In 1997, Geimer publicly forgave Polanski and filed a formal request with the Los Angeles Police Department to drop charges against him. In 2003 she wrote an Op Ed piece in the Los Angeles Times advocating for him to be allowed to return to the US to accept an Academy Award.[70]

On September 26, 2009, Polanski was taken into custody at the Zurich airport by Swiss police at the request of U.S. authorities, for a 2005 international arrest warrant, as he traveled to accept a lifetime achievement award at the Zurich Film Festival.[71][72] After initially being jailed, on December 4 Polanski was granted house arrest at his Gstaad residence on $US 4.5 M bail, while awaiting decision of appeals fighting extradition.[73][74]

On January 22, 2010, California Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza ruled that Polanski must return to be sentenced.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

28-02-2010, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the recap/update, Nero. You know the saying about the mills of the gods....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Granted: he is talented, had a miserable childhood, lost a wife in a horrible murder, and is in his 70s. But...he admitted it, fled justice when the plea bargain to allow for the 42 days served (42 days for raping a 13 year old child!! )fell thru. A fugitive has to know sometime he will be caught. I have no sympathy whatsoever for him.
Well said Dandysmom I agree with all of that except I'm not so sure he is all that talented, as you may know I dislike all these 'media' types, when talking about talent i always compare them to the doctors and scientists who are striving everyday in complete obscurity to make your (and my) life better, this man played around with film and directed a few actors and actresses IMO you (or almost anyone) could do that with a bit of help from the technicians on set. Not many people can invent a new life saving drug or put men on the moon. That's real talent in my book.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

01-03-2010, 12:34 AM

I couldn't agree with you more, Losos.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top