Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2009, 09:41 PM

Outdoor Childhood Games

What games do you remember playing when you were young?

Games I remember are:

Marbles........used to play this at side of road in gutter-not many cars then

Hop Scotch....used to have a 'special' broken tile to slide

Skipping/French Skipping.....if there was only two of you we used to tie the
rope to the handle of the dustbin and take it in
turns to turn the rope while the other one did the
skipping-then we'd swap

Jacks..........used to have 5 different coloured wooden cubes and ball

French Cricket......used to have to stand in one place with cricket bat in
front of your legs while someone bowled at you. If you
missed the ball and it hit your legs you were out.

Cowboys and Indians...used to play this with my brother. Used to tie rope to
the dustbin handles and the bins became our horses-
always had to be the Indian-don't know why

Cricket.......used to go recreation ground and there would be a big group of
boys and girls and we would all play cricket

Football......again used to be a group of us boys and girls-used to make me
goalie as I couldn't run very fast

Oh happy days............
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Re: Outdoor Childhood Games

Rounders......and all the ones you have listed Merz..............
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2009, 10:09 PM

For a start we could leave our house in the morning and play outdoors all day as long as we were back home before it was dark. We had freedom and we were safe ......unlike today.

We made our own fun and were always tired out by bedtime.

I remember playing marbles in the gutter...... and getting to choose the beautiful coloured marble if you won.

Also 5 stones where you had to catch them on the back of your hand.

We used to make carts out of orange boxes that cost a penny from the greengrocers, fix old pram wheels on them - forgot all about brakes......our shoes made up for that!

We also had the spinning/whipping top where the top was spun by hitting it with a whip.

Cats Cradle played with string was another favourite....

Great thread Merz!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2009, 10:24 PM

Hopscotch and jacks here too; plus tag, jumprope and statues.

Yes, back then you did play outside all day, up in the woods catching tadpoles, just messing about being a kid, and it was perfectly safe. Sigh.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2009, 11:09 PM

I was the same out in the morning and back at tea time....Its so sad the kids today can not have the freedom we had....!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 12:18 AM

'Snailshells', a bit like hopscotch but with a large chalked snail shell with squares to hop in. Hop all the way round and 'win' a square so others have to hop over it..
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Dob Dob In - one person guarded 'In', the rest dispersed but then tried to get back to In without being spotted and touched by the guardian. On achieving home you called out Dob Dob In

Ball bouncing with various rhymes - anyone remember any?

And why can't the kids play out now? Apart from traffic, which is of course an obvious danger, I think the reason kids don't play out is because we, whoever we are - society as a whole, parents, newspapers, whatever - don't/won't let them! I really don't think they are in any more danger from adults than they ever were but the world has gone hyper.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Cowboys and Indians. Or rather, just Indians. And I got tied up and left and my mum had to come and find me. Strangely, that game stopped after that.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 08:43 PM

I was horse obsessed when I was younger any games I played I always were the horse I have 4 younger siblings and as we lived out in the sticks we had to entertain ourselves I also was fortunate enough to be able to go riding a lot which I loved and my dog and I were inseperable and I also used to ride my bike a lot around the country lanes...
Ball games with verse
1-2 buckle my shoe
3-4 knock at the door
5-6 pick up sticks
7-8 lay them straight
9-10 a big fat hen
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=Mags;11932]For a start we could leave our house in the morning and play outdoors all day as long as we were back home before it was dark. We had freedom and we were safe ......unlike today.

We made our own fun and were always tired out by bedtime

We used to make carts out of orange boxes that cost a penny from the greengrocers, fix old pram wheels on them - forgot all about brakes......our shoes made up for that!

We used to be out all day as well-used to take a bottle of orange and jam butties for dinner and go to a place called Johnnys Hump and stay there all day. Used to be a little stream where we would catch tadpoles.

Also remember those carts we used to call them 'bogeys'-when you think back they were dangerous - only had shoes like you said Mags to stop them with-good fun though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top