Join for free
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Virgin Users

Not sure whether this should be in the TV section or not but feel free to move it.

I would just like to know if any Virginmedia users have got the new Tivo box and if so what they think of it. I can't make up my mind whether it will be worth the extra monthly fee for what I will get out of it. As I am on my own catch up works for me but maybe I am missing something.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2011, 03:45 PM

Re: Virgin Users

funny you should post this question as we are un decided what to do ourselves, at the moment my OH is of the opinion its not worth it, but i would like to know from anyone who has one as well
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

20-10-2011, 06:19 PM

We already have the HD + box from them and given the nightmare we went through with VM to get it working properly I don't think we would want to change.
The standby lights on ours ceased to be sometime ago and again we will not even get the existing box changed.

As far as I can see the extra features are not all that beneficial. I cannot ever see a time that I would want to record three tv programmes and watch another. I have a job to fnd one to watch let along record it.
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Hi, I am with virgin and decided against Tivo for two reasons. 1/ Tivo is a rehash of a recorder that came out a couple of years ago and failed to find a market because it was very clunky it may be O.K now though but I didn't want to risk it. 2/ If I decided to leave Virgin at any time the recorder would be useless and all those monthly payments lost. What I did was buy a Freesat dish for high definition tv and a Humax recorder which is so simple to use and works like a dream. But in the end it is just a matter of choice, hope this helps.
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2011, 08:54 PM

I have the virgin media HD+ box, I have had virgin from when it was telewest, so that's a lot of years, not had a problem till recently when the picture started getting pixelated and the sound went wonky, reported it on the Saturday, they came following Wednesday and installed a new smaller box, which is working perfectly, as for the Tivo box, there is still a problem with it as regards the red button access, and a 500g hard drive isn't much use to me, I record films and then use catch up on demand for the other programmes, 80 hours on hard drive is more than enough for me, one thing to watch out for though is when recording films in HD, they do take up 4 times more space.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2011, 12:14 AM

I have the HD+Box. Find this to be fine. I would not pay extra Just to be able to record an extra program. Use catchup a lot.

I wondered why most the space was took up on the 80 hours. Thanks for that info aitch.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Well I don't think I shall bother. I've had no problem with the HD + box and plan to move in a couple of years to Suffolk which has no cable so I will have to go back to Sky then anyway. Thanks all for the replies which are most interesting.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top