Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 01:29 PM

Have you got ''ALEXA'' in your home?

I only ask because of discussing the thoughts regarding the threat of surveillance on our conversations through it on another thread on OFF.

But on a far lighter theme, do you have Alexa? Do you use it for turning lights on and off, reminders, listening to your favourite music tracks, general knowledge questions answered? The world is your oyster.

I do have one in our front room. It is perched on the nest of tables nearest the plug point. I'm at an age where I am still fascinated that when I say ''Alexa, what is the weather for Oswestry today?'' and the blue and pink lights around the rim start whirling, and a woman's soothing voice proceeds to tell me whether I should take an umbrella out with me!

It was weird at first talking to it as one would with another person in the room. I soon got used to it though, mainly to say ''Alexa, play a Celine Dion track'' or ''Alexa, remind me every day at 5pm to take my Warfarin tablets''. Very handy, even though I already have a smartphone app that already does it with a music alarm which is faultless. Still, it's a novelty at the moment so will leave her to remind me.

I was saying on the other thread that HWMO makes me laugh when he asks her a question. It goes something like this....''Alexa, what was the Arsenal v Bournmouth FA 4th round result, please?'' WOT! I keep saying to him, Why do you keep saying please to a machine? But try as I may, I cannot stop him doing it. Daft begger.

Do you have Alexa? What do you use her mainly for?

I will admit I never thought of having one but my SIL had two for Christmas from her children so we bought one off her for the price paid for it. Glad I did though and thinking of having another for the bedroom now. Really handy but has rather made my lovely luxury birthday present headphones quite obsolete at the moment as I take her into the bathroom and plug her into an extension cable, lounge in my bubble bath like the Queen of Sheba and bark orders as to what music to play. The sound is terrific. Bliss.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 01:37 PM

Re: Have you got ''ALEXA'' in your home?

We have 3 Alexa units in our house. I only use it to listen to the radio and communicate between rooms, I haven't configured it with smart bulbs etc.

I wouldn't be without them now, in fact I'll get a 4th for my office so I can ask Mrs Bread to bring me cups of tea and biscuits
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 01:40 PM

No Thanks, and never will have.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 01:41 PM

I have one with my Amazon firestick. I have not really got into it but I don’t think it does what the normal on the table ones do.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
No Thanks, and never will have.
Don't mind my asking Roxy, but is there a reason why? Is it because of surveillance worries, or you are not interested in such things. Would be interested to know why.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

30-01-2020, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I have one with my Amazon firestick. I have not really got into it but I don’t think it does what the normal on the table ones do.
Hi Emjay, Now there's another thing - Firesticks. I haven't a clue what they are or what they are for. I know I should with having dozens of young members of family living so close, but it is just one thing I've never taken the time to find out about.

What is a firestick please and what is it used for?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 01:51 PM

I have four, one in each room. They allow me to play music everywhere in the house with the multi-room setting. The lounge, dining room and bedroom lights are controlled by an Alexa command. The one at the side of my bed acts as an alarm clock, radio, news and weather reporting as well a playing soothing sounds at night to help me sleep. I use them for reminders, timers, and even a phone finder when I've misplaced the damned thing.

Using `skills` allows me to check the status of local traffic, lets me know when my car's MOT is due, adds appointments to my diary and also compiles shopping lists which are sent to my phone.

I've checked the alleged spying allegations from numerous trusted sources independent of Amazon, and they all say the same thing. Until the `Wake Word` is heard, it lies dormant. If such privacy concerns worry you, there's always the off button.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 01:54 PM

We have had one for about a year. Once the novelty wore off, it sits unplugged and unused on a shelf somewhere.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

30-01-2020, 02:09 PM

Strange isn't it Savvy. When we think of all the new fangled products that we bought, then relegated to a shelf or cupboard. George Foreman Grill, Sandwich Maker, Deep Fat Fryer, Ice-Cream Maker, Magimix, Old fashioned scales with weights, (cos it looked nice with the country kitchen look at the time), Stereo Radio,32'' TV, 40'', 55'' TV'S, Teasmaid, I could go on and on! but I know what you mean. I guess the novelty will eventually wear off, but I am enjoying using it at the moment, and it gives some great answers to many general knowledge questions.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:13 PM

We have a Hey Google, it works on the same principle as Alexa.

We haven't used it to it's full potential yet such as the light switching etc but we will I'm sure.

We love technology

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top