Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 12:18 PM

My Job

Someone recently asked about my job now and I thought that I had mentioned it before but checking back I don't think that I did so for those interested, after almost nine months and a near-breakdown I finally got a part-time job as a gardener / maintenance man in a residential home for disabled people - and I love it.
I don't earn much but we get by and for me there's nothing quite like the feeling of doing something to please others, especially as I am deaf and may possibly lose my hearing completely.
Every day is different and some might think it menial but everything that I do, along with all the other staff is to help 30+ people live their lives as best as possible, regardless of their disability.
How many other get people thanking them profusely just for weeding flower beds?! It's really a satisfying job and I hope to stay there for as long as I can. stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 12:27 PM

Re: My Job

Martin, I admire your spirit, happiness means a lot more than all the money in the world.

Your new job sounds very satisfying and it's good that the residents of the Home appreciate what you are doing...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 12:37 PM

Martin that sound just the right job for you . Ok it's not going to make you a millionaire but the main thing is it provides job satisfaction and its a great help to the community and to me that is priceless

A few years ago my Sister's husband was reaching retirement age when he was made redundant from a well paid job.
He took on a job as a caretaker in a school and he has never been happier.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 04:09 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Martin. Sounds like an excellent fit for you!
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Martin its nice to hear something like this and as i have always said money isn't everything as long as your happy and content in your job what else matters?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Must have been waiting for the right man Martin and you came along, there is a lot of stress relief gardening and you will make new friends, sounds just the job, its great.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 08:17 PM

Hello Martin. I am pleased to hear that you now have a job which I am sure will give you a great deal of satisfaction. I am also sure the residents in the home will appreciate your work keeping their gardens looking good for them to enjoy.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 08:41 PM

Hello Martin, what a nice posting to read and how satisfying it must be for you to receive so many thanks for your efforts, job satisfaction indeed! Good luck to you.
Marie Rachel
Phila Pa
Marie Rachel is female  Marie Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 08:50 PM

I wish I had such a job. Good for you! My job is stressful and just horrible. It's only when there is work, which is about 3 weeks on and mabye 3 to 4 off depending on orders and such, but I hate it. I have to go as we need the money so bad and my boss treats me very good on my birthday and holidays, but still ... to be doing what you love matters so very much. I'm happy for you that you feel so happy of your job, it does mean more than the paycheck. Good for you! =)
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2011, 10:32 PM

Sounds ideal Martin, and the main thing is you enjoy it and find it very satisfying...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top