Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 11:40 AM

The London fireworks

Did anyone else think the display was quite poor this year? Apart from Nessun Dorma, the music was rubbish and just didn't go with the display at all, plus it was mostly Rap. There was no crescendo ending as with previous years, in fact, the only way we knew it had finished was when they started singing Auld Lang Syne. Considering it's a new decade, I thought the display was rubbish and that comes after Sadiq Khan promised it would be 'the best ever'. Perhaps he just likes black pop music more than I do.

Do people agree that music set to a firework display needs to be dramatic, music such as Sprach Zarathustra (theme to 2001) for example or am I just getting old?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 11:52 AM

Re: The London fireworks

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Did anyone else think the display was quite poor this year? Apart from Nessun Dorma, the music was rubbish and just didn't go with the display at all, plus it was mostly Rap. There was no crescendo ending as with previous years, in fact, the only way we knew it had finished was when they started singing Auld Lang Syne. Considering it's a new decade, I thought the display was rubbish and that comes after Sadiq Khan promised it would be 'the best ever'. Perhaps he just likes black pop music more than I do.

Do people agree that music set to a firework display needs to be dramatic, music such as Sprach Zarathustra (theme to 2001) for example or am I just getting old?
Yet again the director of the BBC who planned the viewing on that channel was let loose with too many cameras covering it.
All it needed was just one with an overall view, which they used some of the time.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 11:55 AM

Just watched a bit on YT, switched off after nearly 2m.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 11:55 AM

It goes on too long, did not watch it this year. Surprised the celebrations went ahead in Australia considering the situation out there.
Woodsman59
Hayling Island
Woodsman59 is male  Woodsman59 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 11:56 AM

We all said at our place , what the heck with the out of place rubbish music !
Then fireworks were going on outside and we all watched that instead....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 12:44 PM

I didn't take too much notice of the music but it was nothing that grated on the nerves enough to remark on.

I thought the display was good, apart from it being obscured by smoke some of the time (no breeze to blow it away). It was fairly on a par with the displays put on in other places in the World. Well, as much as I've seen of them in the news anyway.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 01:00 PM

I watched Sydney yesterday lunchtime, (on TV) I thought that was pretty awful and the same sort of tuneless, wishy washy music as London. Maybe it all comes as a package ?

Watched some of London later on this morning, which seemed to start off ok and then got spoilt by camera's form all directions, rubbish , disjointed music, and too many fireworks all at the same time. Couldn't make out much of it at times, but to be fair it was probably better if one was there.
I just think they seem to judge the 'fantastic' by the number of fireworks involved. It's like a race and competition now. Stupid.. and what a terrible waste of money. (can't stand them myself, but obviously they attract millions world wide)
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 01:02 PM

The music was dire, what's wrong with just listening to the fireworks & the crowd Oooing & Aaahing. Th fireworks were OK but I think the displays on Plymouth Hoe for the firework competitions were better. Free to go to as well, but I watch those on BBC FB.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

100% Agree. Thought it was extremely poor this year compared to other years. Last year was really good.
As for letting the viewer see..... the cameras were flying all over the place instead of concentrating on the display, the music was mostly not in keeping and there was no build up to the end as there has always been.

Really poor performance from all concerned. Interrupted us watching a good film too!
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 04:14 PM

The London display was said to cost 2million pounds. The money would be better spent on facilities for those sleeping on the streets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top