Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 06:58 PM

Recycling worry

Threats from the local council that anyone caught putting unauthorised items onto the appointed recycling bin will be fined has made me anxious about the disposal of small used electrical items and used bedding ,worn out towels and the like .
The nearest site for these is miles away and I don’t drive .

All I want at the moment is to know where can I dispose of an electric kettle ?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 07:14 PM

Re: Recycling worry

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Threats from the local council that anyone caught putting unauthorised items onto the appointed recycling bin will be fined has made me anxious about the disposal of small used electrical items and used bedding ,worn out towels and the like .
The nearest site for these is miles away and I don’t drive .

All I want at the moment is to know where can I dispose of an electric kettle ?
Someone else's bin - and I'm being serious.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 07:24 PM

Phone the council and ask, failing that put it in one of their street litter bins.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 07:40 PM

You cannot get through on the phone to the recycling dept now .
You would put it into a street litter in .. you cannot be serious !
Zuleika
North West UK

22-12-2019, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Someone else's bin - and I'm being serious.
So was I when I asked . ....sigh .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 07:46 PM

We just put small electrical items on the grass verge outside the gate. They never stay there for long - someone always collects them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 07:52 PM

My local council runs a kerbside collection service:

What is small WEEE?

As a general rule, we categorise small WEEE as small handheld items that require a plug or batteries to use that can fit inside of the green box, such as:
  • Small kitchen appliances (kettles, toasters and irons)
  • Hair dryers, hair straighteners and clippers
  • Clocks, watches, calculators and torches
  • Remote controls, laptops, mobile phones, cameras and chargers
  • Radios, mini hi-fis, CD and MP3 players
  • Small electronic toys, for example remote control cars
  • Power tools, smoke detectors and thermostats
Please leave cables and plugs attached to items.

How will small WEEE be collected?

Please place all small WEEE items in a plastic carrier bag with your green box by 7.30am on your scheduled collection day.
The "green box" in my case is the recycling container (bottles, cans, etc).

Check out your local authority website for information on "refuse disposal" or "recycling".
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 08:12 PM

I'm sure they find all sorts of things inside recycling bins and it must be costing them a lot. I've never put an electrical item into one as that's not on the list. Don't you have a regular waste bin as well as recycling? I would normally put something small in there although these days I take it to the recycling centre.

British heart foundation collect electrical items that are still in working order.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm sure they find all sorts of things inside recycling bins and it must be costing them a lot. I've never put an electrical item into one as that's not on the list.
Additional info from my local authority website:

Please place clothes and shoes in carrier bags at the side of your green box to ensure that the clothing is dry. Please note we are only able to collect clothes and shoes which are in good condition.

You can also recycle household batteries and small electricals in the same way. Simply place your batteries in a clear sealed bag, your small electricals in an untied carrier bag and leave them for collection next to your green box.
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Don't you have a regular waste bin as well as recycling? I would normally put something small in there although these days I take it to the recycling centre.
My Grey bin is for "regular waste" - Household rubbish which cannot be recycled

Not all local authorities are the same, so checking the appropriate website is essential.
Zuleika
North West UK

22-12-2019, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
My local council runs a kerbside collection service:

The "green box" in my case is the recycling container (bottles, cans, etc).

Check out your local authority website for information on "refuse disposal" or "recycling".
Thanks , your green bin is my brown bin .
I will try placing the kettle with what they call the “ refuse rubbish we can’t recycle” bin .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top