Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 12:57 AM

What Jobs Have You Had?

We're all older folk on here, so many of us would have had varying jobs, so what did you do?

I'll list mine soon but, as at 15 October this year, I will have worked for the same company for 28 years, 26 of them full time from 1983, and for the last two years just part-time.

Like the places I've lived, my jobs have always been secretarial, but very diverse in content.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 01:01 AM

Re: What Jobs Have You Had?

All my jobs have been secretarial too Mollie
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 01:08 AM

What sort of fields have you worked in though, Carmen?

My first job was working for a Solicitors' office back in the 1960s, and I worked there for seven years until I got married.

Six months before that, my boss suggested I become a Legal Executive and just needed to pass a couple of exams, but I got married instead. Er .... decisions, decisions.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 01:36 AM

I never really worked in the fields

My first was in a company that manufactured microwaves, then for a ball bearing co., then oil co., then went to estate agents then onto Honeywell. Took a break to have children Ended with working for a lubricants distributor in Yorkshire .....that's it.

Just read back....there's a lot of "then" words
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 07:25 AM

I served my time as an Electrical Engineer, went into the RAF(Naional Service) worked for a large textile manufacture in various positions spending part of that time working in Switzrland, Wored as a union convenor, worked as a Service engineer on heating and Ventilation, started my own business which I sold to the workforce when I retired.

Now I enjoy my work even more than I did before.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 08:54 AM

I suppose I have been fortunate in that I have never ever been out of work since the day I left school, until the day I retired.
My very first job was assembling from scratch, the machine that heated and sealed the wax paper ends that sliced loaves used to be wrapped in. When they used to be wrapped properly.
Shortly after, I joined the photographic retail trade. Then I became a bank messenger in the City of London. I was made redundant from that (we all were) with a very attractive settlement package. So I became self employed as a wedding photographer.
I gave that up, for health reasons, then just pottered in various little jobs until I retired.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 10:13 AM

I had a great life in work and, like many of you, I have never been out of work since the day I started.

I left school and became an apprentice fitter at the local coal mine, but the money was very poor at that time, (only £2.18s a week) and Mum wanted £2.10s board! Someone offered me £10 a week (a huge sum of money) to help with the building of car ports and conservatories, so I took the job only for the firm to go bust six weeks later.

I then managed to get a bricklaying apprenticeship, which I completed after five years but then joined the army (Royal Engineers) for five years, before continuing my bricklaying career. After many years working on sites I formed my own company in construction and plant hire until my retirement three years ago.

Ironically, although I loved my work, and always looked forward to Monday mornings, since I retired I have never once missed it or wanted to go back...
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 11:24 AM

I've also worked as secretary, pa etc. all my working life til now. Was made to leave school at 15 with no qualifications as we had no money! First job was some sort of clerical one, then we moved to a different area and I went on a TOPS course at a college in Oxford for 3 months to learn shorthand and typing, even got paid for it then got a job as a shorthand typist with the police, then I moved to London as wanted a better job and ever since then worked as PAs for a newspaper in Fleet Street, Merchant Bank in the City for many years, then a scientific & medical company before deciding I needed a complete career break having worked in an office for well over 30 years and I now deal with dogs all day long! . Its a lot harder work and longer hours but I like the freedom of being my own boss. At one point in my life when I needed some extra money I got a parttime job which involved driving around the streets at night checking that the lamposts were working and reporting the ones that were faulty Sounds bizare now but somebody has to do it I guess
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 02:39 PM

I left school at 16 with 4 GCE 'O' levels and worked in the Accounts office of a large Printing and Packaging company for 17 years. I gave it up to raise my children for 10 years, then took part time jobs in a school.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 03:29 PM

left school at 15,,1 year as a van boy,then took a brikkies apprentishship,,then i done the army for 4 years,came out started my own buisness as a builder,,had a 4 year stint in east germany when the wall came down,had a small bricklaying company there,,retired at 55,bought a small farm here in wales.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top