Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 03:44 PM

Watch out! watch out! there's a spider about!

It appears there may be an abundance of spiders around this winter due to the weather and favourable breeding conditions

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8273960.stm

It's bad enough now when I keep walking into well hidden spider's webs in the garden ........ there have also been more of the critters appearing in the bath!

I feel sorry for the spider haters amongst us here but just thought I'd give you the warning!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Re: Watch out! watch out! there's a spider about!

There are webs all over the garden here too. I've been sitting watching one spider for ages - fascinating! Fortunately I'm not an arachnaphobe - in fact I've been spider monitor in many places I've worked; just pick 'em up and put 'em out .. then stand back for admiring glances!

As a balance (the 'other end of the stick' to having lots of spiders) - there will be lots of good food for the birds, so hopefully there will be good survival through the winter
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 04:08 PM

I did think I thought more webs than usual! Let's hope they stay outdoors!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Aaaaaugh! Glad I live here!!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Funny you should say that Mags, I wakened on Monday to a huge one on the ceiling above the bed, it was 3 inches across from leg tip to leg tip.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Funny you should say that Mags, I wakened on Monday to a huge one on the ceiling above the bed, it was 3 inches across from leg tip to leg tip.
I hope you don't sleep with your mouth open, Nero
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 08:26 PM

We have had a few quite big ones, but I am like DM, just pick them up and put them out, unless of course a cat get one....
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

I feel sorry for the spider haters amongst us here but just thought I'd give you the warning!
If you really felt sorry for us with spider phobias Mags you wouldn't have mentioned them

Now its going colder they are all coming indoors for a warm-was a great big one in my bath this morning-one of my neices told me to do spray it with hairspray so it 'freezes' on the spot then I can clobber it-how cruel is that (but I did it just the same )
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Hair spray works on wasps too when one gets in the house! I've used it. I'll trap a bee under a glass and put it outside, but not a wasp. And I squish spiders. I couldn't bear to touch one.......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

25-09-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
If you really felt sorry for us with spider phobias Mags you wouldn't have mentioned them
Oops....sorry Mertz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top