Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2011, 09:25 PM

Modern art.

Some love it others loathe it, what do you think?.
Looking at a recent short story by Agatha Christie (she hated modern art) called 'The King of Clubs', Capt. Hastings is staring at a piece of modern art hanging on a wall, he turns to Poirot and comments, "The thing with these modern artists is not whether you understand their work or not, what they try to do, whether you like it or not, is try to show you all the sides of their work at the same time, not that it makes any difference, for example, what I'm looking at now could well be the back or then again the right side, maybe even the bottom. the idea is to save you the trouble of having to walk around it, not a bad idea really, but then again most of these fellows are out of their minds with drink and drugs, so you can't trust them really".
Not my words, but I do agree with you Captain, If you want to paint a duck make it look like a duck.
(Mods if this is the wrong place for this please sort it.)
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2011, 09:55 PM

Re: Modern art.

Oh

I was looking for a picture Jem, to see whether it was the back, side or bottom.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2011, 01:55 PM

I'm not a Fan of Modern Art. I love old Paintings with the carved Victorian (and earlier) Frames. I have an old beauty on the Day Room Wall it's a Highland Scene in Oils. Can't remember the Artist, painting needs cleaned then I'd be able to read it lol.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2011, 04:30 PM

I guess it is down to what one calls 'Modern Art' some of it is ok .

Piles of bricks,dirty beds, cows in formaldehyde are defiantly out for me .
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2011, 05:56 PM

I am interested in Art generally (although some of it I have difficulty with). I like some of Andy Warhol's stuff (but not the cans of tomato soup) and also some of Salvador Dali's work. Some of the Modern Impressionists are OK (but I much prefer the work of the early Impressionists like Turner, Cezanne, Monet, Lautrec, Degas - which I don't suppose count as "Modern" anymore).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top