Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2011, 10:28 PM

Less packaging please.

I'm not used to fending for myself in the kitchen but seeing the Wife was away hunger forced me there. I like a few tarts on the side...of my plate with the plain biscuits, and I do agree Mister Kipling bakes very good cakes, but he also uses an exceedingly abundant amount of packaging. First you have the large box containing the smaller boxes, next there is the small cardboard box, then the cellophane covering, and finally the the individual plastic compartments for each tart...far too wasteful and uncalled for in my opinion. Back in the days of the corner shop you got one cardboard box for your large cake and paper bags for the smaller ones and they were still as fresh as ever, fresh cream buns were a particular favourite of mine back then, mind you you often got the odd wasp thrown in for free in Summertime. I think there is too much profit to be made from packaging and nothing seems to be happening to control it. Is it any wonder that one of the fastest growing and most profitable industries in the modern World today is waste disposal?.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Re: Less packaging please.

And some things are so well wrapped it takes a Stanley knife and a lot of cussing even to get the package open... not talking food, here, Jem, but some simple every day things like batteries or light bulbs!! Some of us oldies have arthritis in her/his hands and have difficulty getting things open!
Guess this belongs in the grumpy thread, excuse the rant, people!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2011, 10:52 PM

....and toothbrushes, is there some reason they need to be hermetically sealed
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Oh right, Meg! When I moved forgot the toothbrush, of all things, and almost needed an axe to get the new one out of it's armor! It's absurd.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2011, 11:29 PM

.......and that hard plastic is downright dangerous, like a knife edge. I never see the need for that type of packaging.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 07:27 AM

I bought a PIR last month and you would have thought the crown jewels were inside the package.
A box, large enough to hold a small TV and enough package to fill the paper bin, The PIR is about 3 inch square.

Still I suppose it helps with the re-cycling process.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top