Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 07:12 AM

Good morning Tuesday

Good morning from ‘out in the rural sticks’ to you all.

'Pinch and a punch' and all that as it's the first of the month – October already!

Just about light outside and it’s not raining! Although thundery showers are forecast. Maximum temperature 18ºC.

Another day of nothing much to do, depending on what I want to busy myself with.

Enjoy your day everybody, whatever you may be doing.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 07:27 AM

Re: Good morning Tuesday

Good morning all.

Pinch, Punch Baz.

Rained in the night, its dry and cold outside now.

Off to do my weekly shopping, then later Fish and Chips.

Have a nice day all.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Good morning everybody.

I'll be spending most of the day in the city of Derby (in the rain by the looks of it)

I'm meeting up with some friends from my Face-book Derbyshire Goldies group for lunch & a lot of chat - there will be 6 of us ladies this time plus one man.

Afterwards I want to go to the INTU shopping centre to do some birthday shopping for daughter Sue whose birthday is on 13th.

Have a good day all.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 07:33 AM

Good morning Baz and all to follow. Have a good day, take care and stay warm and dry and above all things safe and well. God bless.
Ethel
England
Ethel is female  Ethel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 07:39 AM

Good morning rained most the night, river is really high and more rain forecast for today, just hoping it dose not bust it’s banks. Last time it did that the village was cut off for two days. Going to do my ironing, not sure what to do for dinner. Have a good day every body.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 08:07 AM

Good Morning Everyone.
A dull wet morning down here in the New Forest.
As far as I know there are nothing special on the cards fro today. If the wet weather keeps me indoors I have a good book.
What is the origin of the saying 'Pinch, punch, first of the month' .
Another superstition is to the word 'Rabbits' before saying anything else on the first of the month and good fortune will be with you for the whole month.
Enjoy your day .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 08:10 AM

Good Morning all - no punching White Rabbits - it's illegal!!

I have to go back into town today so, naturally, it is pouring with rain - but it is still quite warm. Spotted a beautiful 'Candle Bridge' in a shop yesterday - couldn't buy it then as I already had a lot of shopping - going to pounce today though - it is so lovely they are bound to sell out quickly.

Have a fun day.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Good Morning Everyone.
A dull wet morning down here in the New Forest.
As far as I know there are nothing special on the cards fro today. If the wet weather keeps me indoors I have a good book.
What is the origin of the saying 'Pinch, punch, first of the month' .
Another superstition is to the word 'Rabbits' before saying anything else on the first of the month and good fortune will be with you for the whole month.

Enjoy your day .

Not sure, BB. If you find out - be sure to tell us!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

01-10-2019, 08:18 AM

Eureka!

The theories:

It originates from Medieval times when people believed in witches. Salt was believed to make witches weak, so the pinch part of the saying is the pinching of the salt and the punch part was to banish the witch once she was weakened by the salt.

'White rabbits, white rabbits' was written in the 'Notes and Queries' book from 1909. It reads "My two daughters are in the habit of saying 'Rabbits!' on the first day of each month. The word must be spoken aloud, and be the first word said in the month. It brings luck for that month. Other children, I find, use the same formula."

Apparently it was a common belief among RAF bomber aircrew during WW2 that saying "white rabbits" the very first thing upon waking would protect oneself.

According to playground rules, your pinch and punch has to be followed immediately with the words, "White rabbits, no return". By saying so, it means you can't be pinched back.

In the West Country, the retaliation is 'A flick and a kick for being so quick'.

Now e know!
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 08:44 AM

Oooh Arrr me darlin' Thur be 'eaps of these yer zayings down yer among we wot you lot do call country bumpkins but we don,t care an osses fart wot you do call us, we be appy as we be.
Thanks for the explanation re; A pinch and a punch. I did not know of the RAF,s White Rabbits though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top