Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Afternoon Tea

Is it just me
Or are they over-rated and way over-priced?

I always feel like I've been robbed of the best part of £20 for 3 measly, crustless sarnies and two many fussy, sickly cakes and a dry scone

I've just been gifted an Afternoon Tea for Two "experience".
The hotel where it is served present the food in little hampers which look cute, but I'm afraid the experience will still disappoint!
I suppose it might taste better knowing I'm not parting with hard-earned cash!!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Re: Afternoon Tea

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Is it just me
Or are they over-rated and way over-priced?

I always feel like I've been robbed of the best part of £20 for 3 measly, crustless sarnies and two many fussy, sickly cakes and a dry scone

I've just been gifted an Afternoon Tea for Two "experience".
The hotel where it is served present the food in little hampers which look cute, but I'm afraid the experience will still disappoint!
I suppose it might taste better knowing I'm not parting with hard-earned cash!!
When all the costs are factored in, then probably not overpriced at 20 quid.

Staff wages, insurances, wastages and spoiled stock, clean up afterwards, utilities, ROCE, profit, wear and tear - that's just a starter.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
When all the costs are factored in, then probably not overpriced at 20 quid.

Staff wages, insurances, wastages and spoiled stock, clean up afterwards, utilities, ROCE, profit, wear and tear - that's just a starter.
So how come a decent sized sandwich and a cake of choice would cost half the price?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 11:47 AM

There is nothing like 'afternoon tea' at home with everything home made. 'Mass produced ' food in a hotel kitchen can't compete with that.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

28-09-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There is nothing like 'afternoon tea' at home with everything home made. 'Mass produced ' food in a hotel kitchen can't compete with that.
What cakes would you serve as well as a scone Meg?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 12:28 PM

So how come a decent sized sandwich and a cake of choice would cost half the price?
Part of the price is the cost of preparing the sarnie, presumably waitress service and the rest of the fantazye odds and sods, all have to be planned in, prepared for, and paid for.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 12:48 PM

What cakes would you serve as well as a scone Meg?
What would you like Rhian? Coffee and walnut/sour cherry and almond/chocolate cake maybe and chocolate eclairs, we must have those
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Part of the price is the cost of preparing the sarnie, presumably waitress service and the rest of the fantazye odds and sods, all have to be planned in, prepared for, and paid for.
Sounds like justification Todgy?
I was taught by an austrian chef that the golden rule in
catering was , find the actual cost, then at minimum charge
two and a half times more! Maximum is what you can get
away with??

Regards Donkeyman!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 12:57 PM

I suppose it depends where you go, we have had afternoon tea at patisserie valarie, and they were nice enough, but we have a nice garden centre not far away and their afternoon teas are nicer
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I'm with you there Meg. I am often given ''Afternoon Tea for Two'' vouchers by family for special occasions. I quite understand the price of £20 per person for sandwiches, cake and uninspiring scones, but of course, one is paying for the ambiance etc.

I love instead to have lunch sitting outside on the deck. under the shad of a parasol, a small tray of crustless brown bread filled with Tuna Mayonnaise, Lettuce and Cucumber or Egg Mayo and Cress for moi and Cheddar Cheese and Tomato or cooked Ham or Chicken and Branston Pickle for HWMO. Home-made Victoria Sponge with Strawberry Jam and Whipped Cream to follow, with as many cups of Tea as we wish. I much prefer lunch of our own, (although I would never admit this to family).

I know too, this sounds awful, but the older I get, the more paranoid I become over food. First, I know that the person who washed the salad, buttered the bread, made the ingredients up, has thoroughly washed their hands first, their utensils are spotlessly clean,their work surfaces are spotlessly clean, that the food is completely fresh and freshly made, and the cake has been baked with the best ingredients. Because that person is me. Have they?

I know I have absolutely no right to be thinking this way, I'm sure those hard-working employees are all ofay with health and hygiene regulations, but, I do notice that many of them at these country Hotels are young, and MALE! so...........

Am I awful?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top