Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 12:49 PM

Are you sensitive to smells?

I've always been sensitive smells to the point I get headaches, queeze, etc. People around me or who I'm with don't seem to notice or aren't effected to any degree. Is there anywhere to get 'tested' or find 'help' with this issue. I am finding even 'nice' smells of the past (flowers, cooking, bakiing, etc) draining at times, but the awful smell (won't even go there) down right sicking. I'm finding it getting progressively worse as I age. Has anyone else found this and have suggestions?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Re: Are you sensitive to smells?

I've never experienced anything like that, Claire so I'm no help to you I'm afraid.

I hope someone else here will be able to offer you some suggestions....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Me either; wish I could help.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 04:58 PM

Just sensitive to smelly people, there is no excuse to smell these days, carbolic soap is the answer.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 05:57 PM

I think I'm more sensitive as I get older. At home I'm using Nok Out pet spray to get rid of anything that lingers, including shampoo (the boy uses Axe and it's quite strong).

Had to leave a coffee shop on Monday because such a strong scent filled the entire area when a woman walked in wearing heavy perfume.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ClaireMarie ->
I've always been sensitive smells to the point I get headaches, queeze, etc. People around me or who I'm with don't seem to notice or aren't effected to any degree. Is there anywhere to get 'tested' or find 'help' with this issue. I am finding even 'nice' smells of the past (flowers, cooking, bakiing, etc) draining at times, but the awful smell (won't even go there) down right sicking. I'm finding it getting progressively worse as I age. Has anyone else found this and have suggestions?
Hi Clarie After I gave birth to my son I developed dreadful Migraine, it affected my sense of smell as well as sensitivity to light and I found it quite a nuisance. Some scents made me feel quite nauseous .

When I reached the menopause the migraine and associated problems disappeared completely , the cause of my problem was clearly hormonal.
We know when women have a period or are pregnant their sense of smell can be effected, again this is probably hormone related.
I am also aware of a couple of medical problems which can have an effect on sense of smell .
Have you spoken to your doctor ? That would be my first course of action .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 10:57 PM

It's only since the smoking ban in the pubs that I began to pick up on smells I never noticed before.( noticed, there goes the magic word again Annie) I won't go into them, but the smell of tobacco was a damn sight better.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

14-09-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ClaireMarie ->
As Meg says a doctor should definately be your first port of call.
Just wondering though if it maybe is an hormonal imbalance that is causing you a problem. A close female relative of mine was on HRT and one of the things she noticed was that her sense of smell heightened very shortly after taking it.
I am a mere male and have no intimate experience with HRT so I might be barking up the wrong tree altogether but I do remember one of the odd side effects of chemo was my sense of smell which went through the roof.
That was because not only was my immune system walloped but the hormonal one was wiped out.

I sympathise with your predicament as it is horrible.
I could smell the daily papers that were being delivered as soon as they came in the ward but quite the worst thing was those paper bowls.
It did have one good effect though, I always knew when my favourite lady was on the ward

I have heard that acid reflux maybe another cause but don't know why it would be so.
Hope you get sorted soon, whatever it is.
George
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
It did have one good effect though, I always knew when my favourite lady was on the ward
That remark made me chuckle!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Because of a pre-existing lung problem I am super sensitive to smoke and pollution as it is now a 'trigger' for a reaction which seriously affects my breathing. Last year next-door neighbour lit bonfire in his garden without warning me. First I knew was the smell of the smoke inside my home (it was summer and my windows were open). After the first few breaths of that smoke I started to have breathing difficulties, summoned the emergency services and spent the next four hours in A&E.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top