Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 07:49 PM

When did it start?.

With the 10th anniversary of 9/11 in all the newscasts it prompted me to ask my overseas friends as to who started calling the Month before the Day, like as you all know on this side of the water 9/11 would be the 9th of November. Did it begin in the US and if so when.
I remember an Aunt of mine from Los Angeles sending me a silver medal for my 10th birthday and on the back was engraved my birth date 11/25/45, I insisted to my Mother that Auntie had got it wrong, it should read 25/11/45. It must be going on for a very long time. I'm not well up on American history but I seem to remember reading that when America got independence they changed a lot of things British, like riding on the other side of the road. Can anyone enlighten me please.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 08:04 PM

Re: When did it start?.

Good question Jem, I've often wondered that...
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Good question Jem, I've often wondered that...
.......me too

Come on Eileen (oooh wasn't that a song?)
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Berxer ->
.......me too

Come on Eileen (oooh wasn't that a song?)
Yes by Dexys Midnight Runners
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

11-09-2011, 09:13 PM

I don't think anyone really knows.
The first headline on the American Declaration of Independence says,

"In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776"

It might have started there, although there are some examples of us using the same i.e. The Tea-table Miscellany By Allan Ramsay: January I. 1724.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 10:03 PM

I find it very confusing like that.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 10:34 PM

I have no idea. It's always been that way, which is no explanation, really; I find it a bit confusing when you date things day/month and I have to reverse them mentally! It's always month/ day/ year here.

As far as today, as it happened here and we keep referring to it as 9/11 I suppose that's why other media use that format.

I'm curious now, may Google after dinner if it's quiet here and see if I can find out why the discrepancy in dating practice.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2011, 07:42 AM

I think it is from the nineteenth centuary when people used to write, Monday September 3 1898 and then just dropped of the day and left the month, date, year.
It was common practice in the UK at that time as well.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Thank you all for your help. It is a bit confusing and you have to make a quick mental adjustment to know where you are with the dates. I suppose its like Hammer says, nobody really knows when it started.
I was just thinking how that would work with a cheque. For example, you are in business and you send some goods to the US, you have wages etc. to pay so you want to be paid on the 10th of June 2012, you receive the cheque on that date and its dated 6/10/12, would you have to wait 4 Months to get your money in Britain?. Just a thought.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2011, 04:04 PM

I did a Google search last night with no joy. Why and when never came up. just which countries did what. Perhaps I was using poorly chosen search terms; guess we'll just have to wonder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top