Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2011, 11:22 PM

DLL ( Daddy long legs)

I hate this time of year... its the DLL season, I cannot be in the same room as one. I don't care what I'm doing .. I just have to leave.

Tonight I'm online in the dining room and hubby was watching the boxing in the lounge. He came into the dining room and complained at the heat...OK no windows open and door closed, but that for me is how it is.. its a DLL free zone!

The fear is irrational i know but it gets worse as the years go by. This time of year is just a misery.

Is there hope for me, does anyone have the same phobia as I do?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2011, 11:35 PM

Re: DLL ( Daddy long legs)

Not exactly, but they are so similar to spiders (I have spider phobia) that I react the same! And I think you never outgrow it or become desensitized .......
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2011, 11:47 PM

Im the same with spiders dandysmom.... and butterflies !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2011, 11:54 PM

I have hardly seen any DDLs this year
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 12:32 AM

I can't stand the stringy buggers myself Wonda, it's another reason I keep the bedroom windows closed. Touch wood, I haven't seen one so far this year.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 12:46 AM

I don't like them either. They come in and flutter around and come so close to your face. Alfie (my dog) tries to catch them and sometimes succeeds.

It's strange isn't it? I love butterflies and would let one land on me, yet moths I don't particularly like.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 10:41 AM

I don't like Daddy Long Legs either, I think it's those long spindly legs that freak me and the fact that they fly.

However, I have just looked them up and apparently they eat other spiders .....now that must be good for spider haters!

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/.../pholcus1.html

Check your toilet before you sit down, ladies
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have hardly seen any DDLs this year
Now you mention it, Meg, I don't recall seeing any in the last couple of years
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Now you mention it, Meg, I don't recall seeing any in the last couple of years
...that's right Mags , my front porch used to be full of them. I guess they were attracted by the hall light but I have hardly seen any for a couple of years, I guess it might be down to weather conditions.

I don't mind DDL at all because unlike some other beasties they move very slowly and can easily be caught
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

11-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...that's right Mags , my front porch used to be full of them. I guess they were attracted by the hall light but I have hardly seen any for a couple of years, I guess it might be down to weather conditions.

I don't mind DDL at all because unlike some other beasties they move very slowly and can easily be caught
They must be quite a delicacy as Cassie Cat used to chew up everyone she caught ..... maybe that could be why they don't visit us anymore!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top