Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Seven years are up!

When we bought our present property we put it in the name of our eldest daughter. Seven years elapsed yesterday and she is now officially the landlord. If either my husband or I had to go into a care home before then the house could in theory have been sold to help pay for the care home fees. Not that I think it would have been necessary, as we probably have enough dosh to cover that eventuality.

Have other posters put their home in their children's names?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Re: Seven years are up!

I do think about it Tara but what if i move house . I suppose i should really .

Does it cost a lot to do this ?

Could the house go into two names ie son and daughter and what about tax implecations for them
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 11:04 AM

If she doesn't live there councils can still fight legally to take equity for care costs. IHT still applies and capital gains will apply if it's not her main residence.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 11:08 AM

I was advised against this because if any of my three children died or divorced the spouse could demand their share and force a sale thus leaving me homeless.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I do think about it Tara but what if i move house . I suppose i should really .

Does it cost a lot to do this ?

Could the house go into two names ie son and daughter and what about tax implecations for them
Obviously you need a solicitor to advice you. It could have tax implications if your children own their own homes. Our daughter's home comes with the job, as she is a vicar. Our other two daughters didn't want it in their names as they have their own homes.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 11:28 AM

We went one step not to mention several thousand miles further.

Technically as well as legally we could claim Benefits, indeed I know of a couple of people who have done the same as we have and DO claim Benefits, but I believe that is taking the piss too far.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 11:32 AM

I have researched this and also asked those who used to be able to legally find ways round taxes, particularly Inheritance Tax (IHT) by 'gifting' or using Trusts. This is no longer really possible as loopholes have been closed. There are so many pitfalls it's hardly worth the hassle if it doesn't work out. HMRC have it all covered in their rules and local councils also have rules when it comes to this and if ever the person renting the property, after having 'gifted' it to their children or another person, needed nursing care they could still be deemed as owning the property so it could be legally taken to pay fees. All eventualities are covered by the authorities, as is usually the case!

"In order to erase the IHT liability, the gift must be made with no strings attached. If the gift has conditions, or you benefit from the home in some way such as continuing to live there, it will be known as a “gift with reservation of benefit” and will remain in your estate. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/financia...e-to-children/
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 11:36 AM

That's right the seven year rule does not apply if you are occupying the property. So the house has to be included in probate. Some councils have taken cases to court to prove that owners transferred the title in order to avoid care fees. Depends on the local authority.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's right the seven year rule does not apply if you are occupying the property. So the house has to be included in probate. Some councils have taken cases to court to prove that owners transferred the title in order to avoid care fees. Depends on the local authority.
That is why people then paid rent to those who were 'gifted' the property, which it was reckoned got round those rules. It was then deemed that rent paid had to be the 'market rent' which then meant you were living in a house you had 'gifted' to avoid tax but then had to pay out a lot of money in market rate rent which may have been money you didn't have. What is the point? Two thing are certain in life – death and taxes and it seems, for most, that's just how it is!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I have researched this and also asked those who used to be able to legally find ways round taxes, particularly Inheritance Tax (IHT) by 'gifting' or using Trusts. This is no longer really possible as loopholes have been closed. There are so many pitfalls it's hardly worth the hassle if it doesn't work out. HMRC have it all covered in their rules and local councils also have rules when it comes to this and if ever the person renting the property, after having 'gifted' it to their children or another person, needed nursing care they could still be deemed as owning the property so it could be legally taken to pay fees. All eventualities are covered by the authorities, as is usually the case!

"In order to erase the IHT liability, the gift must be made with no strings attached. If the gift has conditions, or you benefit from the home in some way such as continuing to live there, it will be known as a “gift with reservation of benefit” and will remain in your estate. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/financia...e-to-children/

So do things illegally. There are ways, many very simple. Sorted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top