Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Phone Scam Warning

(Not sure if this should go here - so please, Mods, if it is wrong please move!)

"PLEASE PASS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS & FAMILY.

(This didnt happen to me by the way)

I received a call from a 'representative' of BT, informing me that he was dis-connecting me because of an unpaid bill. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 or it would be £118.00 to re-connect at a later date.

The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental!

I asked the guy's name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number - 0800 0800 152.

Obviously the fellow realized I didn't believe his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would dis-connect my phone to prevent this. AND HE
DID !!

My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again.

Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made and he said credit card, there and then.

I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no intention of paying him, I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT.

He hung up. I dialed 1471 - number withheld I phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognized., so I phoned the police to let them know. I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating.

Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this scam. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please make as many friends & family aware of this.

How is it done?

This is good but not that clever.. He gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800 152 which takes you through to BT Business.

The cutting off of the line is very simple, he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out - but he can hear you trying (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it). When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back.

You could almost be convinced!

The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool the elderly and vulnerable.

By the way this is not about getting the cash as this would not get past merchant services - it is all about getting the credit card details which include the security number so that it can be used for far larger purchases."

I copied this from another forum I am on!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 11:49 AM

Re: Phone Scam Warning

Thanks a million for that Brandykins, I'll keep me eye out in case it starts over here.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Whe he asked you to hang up and try your phone the reason you couldn't phone anybody else was because he didn' hang up, and you were still connected to him.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 03:40 PM

I dont have a landline and thats one of the reasons..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the warning BK, you can't trust anyone these days, can you?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Wow, what a clever scheme; how fortunate you didn't fall for it. I didn't know that bit about not hanging up... very valuable tip! Thanks!!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 04:32 PM

Passing on that info for sure, thanks.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 06:02 PM

There's also one scam from someone pretending to be from microsoft telling you there is a fault on your computer, he will tell you to boot it up and follow he's instructions so he can "fix" it for you, when he will actually hack into it, just hang up on him.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 06:05 PM

Hi Rose did they use your name?
These people seldom do because of course they don't actually know it and hope that people will be sufficiently off their guard not to notice this .

I have had similar calls over the years at home and at work and have been downright rude to the callers.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks for that Brandykins, these scammers are so plausible sometimes, so I just say no to everyone and ask them to write to me if it's that important...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top