Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 01:30 PM

Selling on Ebay

I have rarely sold anything on ebay, i find it very complicated not a straight forward as one thinks. So many questions about the item selling -posting photos -reserve selling amount -postage etc etc is confusing.

Ok i realise the more information given the better for the buyer, but for me hell trying to get things right
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Re: Selling on Ebay

Bazza I buy on Ebay but have given up trying to sell.

I tried to advertise an unwanted gift, a Louis Vuitton cashmere pashmina and they said it was a fake
It certainly wasn't .
The selling sysyem seems to have become very complicated.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Meg

I am trying to sell a camera bag that cost well over £100 and is like new.

one offer so far which I will refuse .
Link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/camera-sh...y/133123599246

Some people what something for nothing. Really puts me off even trying to sell something let alone this bag which I have only used once

Only selling it because with all the camera gear in it makes it too heavy to carry.

So a couple of days ago I bought a roller bag instead for my camera gear which can go in cabin on a flight as well

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 02:18 PM

Boy, do I agree with you! I have been a buyer on Ebay for years. My feedback has always been 100% but always as a buyer. I have until recently, never sold a single item on the site. But, my widowed brother asked me if I would sell some things for him so had a go. First, I had to master the process of selling and it was really daunting, quite scary in fact.

Trying my best to get through the complicated form filling was the worst thing, especially as my brother wanted buy only without the auction, then he wanted collect only as there was no way he would put the stuff (delicate/fragile) through the post. THEN, I had to learn how to download the photos and place them in order correctly. Give an honest description, (that was scary too as I had to depend on brother's description, and of course where a man sees no flaws, a woman can pick them out in a second. I wouldn't have minded so much if if was his membership but it wasn't, it was mine! and any complaints could ruin my feedback score of 100%, so was nervous, very nervous.

Then, once they were sold, and their monies went into my Paypal account, I had to wait for about 3 weeks whilst Ebay held onto the money until the buyer satisfied, (this, after they had collected in person and taken the goods!!)
Then to cap it all, once monies had been cleared, I assumed it would go back into my credit card, but no, unless one does online banking, the money stays in paypal because you need a code from the bank to withdraw it.

In the end, I told my brother he would have to wait for his cash for the goods because I would have to wait until sure all cash had been approved and I awaited the selling fees.
Once I knew the cash for goods had been approvefd I was able to pay him minus fees, but I still had no way of moving the money back to my bank account.
I had to just watch as the money diminished as I bought things from Ebay and other retailers until it had gone.

Not a happy bunny either over one of the buyers. He wanted to pay cash (which was perfectly legal when collecting in person) but then I received a notification from Ebay saying that I was being warned due to an infringement of the rules of selling. I was onto them tootsweet to find out what I had done wrong as I obeyed the rules with rigour.

Apparently, the chap who had bought the item had not pressed the "commit to buy' button that he should have pressed when paying cash, and I should not have gone ahead with the sale until he had. (he paid when he collected in person). How on earth was I to know that? I always pay by Paypal when buying, so would never have had any dealings with 'commit to buy' when payment is cash.

After contacting customer services to plead my complete ignorance and honesty over the sale, I was informed that it would not interfere with my feedback as a seller and not to worry. Honestly, it was so complicated and scary that I vowed I wouldn't sell anything again. Luckily, I haven't been asked to sell anything else by my brother since, and I hope I never am. I much prefer to just buy and leave the selling to the clever ones who can understand the procedure so much than I can.

Hope the above hasn't put you off. Just thought I would share my experience with you. After all, better the devil and all that.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Meg

I am trying to sell a camera bag that cost well over £100 and is like new.

one offer so far which I will refuse .
Link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/camera-sh...y/133123599246

Some people what something for nothing. Really puts me off even trying to sell something let alone this bag which I have only used once

Only selling it because with all the camera gear in it makes it too heavy to carry.

So a couple of days ago I bought a roller bag instead for my camera gear which can go in cabin on a flight as well

Yes Realspeed, I had plenty of those offers as well. Considering the items I was selling for my brother were being offered at much less than half price already, some of the offers were a damn cheek. Still, I had great pleasure in pressing the decline your offer button and telling them why.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 02:31 PM

I would never buy or sell anything on Ebay. Anything we don't want we either give to charity or to anyone we know who would like it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 02:41 PM

I sell and buy, and, use the 50% rule, If I sell and the article is as good as new, I expect to get 50% of what it cost, as, it is second hand. Likewise, I would not pay more than 50% of the original cost of an item.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

29-07-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I would never buy or sell anything on Ebay. Anything we don't want we either give to charity or to anyone we know who would like it.
I'm the same tara, I just bag things up and off to the charity shop they go. Hence never having sold on Ebay in 18 years I've been with them as a buyer. But this was for brother, and stuff he was selling was immaculate, far too expensive to give to charity (and large!) Try carrying a snooker table with cues from his games room, plus large statues, fountain and garden stone table and seats to the charity shop!! I think not.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I'm the same tara, I just bag things up and off to the charity shop they go. Hence never having sold on Ebay in 18 years I've been with them as a buyer. But this was for brother, and stuff he was selling was immaculate, far too expensive to give to charity (and large!) Try carrying a snooker table with cues from his games room, plus large statues, fountain and garden stone table and seats to the charity shop!! I think not.
We still give things away whether they are expensive or not, if we don't need a thing it is good to give it to someone who does. We have given away a trailer, a TV, a bouncy castle, a snooker table and other large items in good condition.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 03:25 PM

Are you on Facebook? If you are then it's possible to sell on there, family members have done this and always managed to sell whatever it is. If on Facebook there is usually a page for your town or village, on there will be more local people so it may be easier to sell in the area in which you live.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top