Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Scam Inheritance Letters

Yesterday my husband received a letter from a 'lawyer' in Spain telling him that he was the sole benefactor in the will of a woman with the same surname as ours who had died recently in Madrid. The amount he could inherit was in excess of 5 million euros! All he had to do was email the lawyer and he would help my husband to prove that he was indeed related to this woman - someone whom my husband had never heard of. Suspecting a scam I did some googling to prove it was just that. I wonder where they got my husband's full name and our address - we are ex-directory so it wasn't from the 'phone book.

Has anyone else received a similar letter? I've heard of email scams of this type but not of letters.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 11:51 AM

Re: Scam Inheritance Letters

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
Yesterday my husband received a letter from a 'lawyer' in Spain telling him that he was the sole benefactor in the will of a woman with the same surname as ours who had died recently in Madrid. The amount he could inherit was in excess of 5 million euros! All he had to do was email the lawyer and he would help my husband to prove that he was indeed related to this woman - someone whom my husband had never heard of. Suspecting a scam I did some googling to prove it was just that. I wonder where they got my husband's full name and our address - we are ex-directory so it wasn't from the 'phone book.

Has anyone else received a similar letter? I've heard of email scams of this type but not of letters.
Maybe you visited Spain and stayed in a hotel?
In the last 3 or 4 years?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 11:58 AM

!very old scam revived
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 12:03 PM

I have not received anything like that, and would bin it if I did.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Maybe you visited Spain and stayed in a hotel?
In the last 3 or 4 years?
We have not been abroad for many years and have never been to Spain Ted.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

27-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have not received anything like that, and would bin it if I did.
That's exactly where it is now!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 12:13 PM

That's exactly where it is now!
I have received the inheritance I expected when my parents died, I don't want or require another.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 12:15 PM

a scam
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

27-07-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have received the inheritance I expected when my parents died, I don't want or require another.
Same here! I am just wondering whether anyone else has received one of these letters. My husband is 88 years old and in very poor health - the fact that these scammers have his full name, address etc has really upset him.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

27-07-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
a scam
Yes I came to that conclusion myself!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top